Saturday, June 13, 2015

About "Sea Fever"

"Sea Fever" is the first poem I ever learned ... and actually liked.

My grandfather was a sea-farin' man.  When his wife reeled him in from the sea, he stayed drunk for the rest of his life.

A lot of people make bucket lists (i.e. things to be fulfilled before one dies) but a sea-farin' man chucks the bucket into the ocean and hops into it to see where it floats.  Usually people who make bucket lists croak before ever doing anything on them ... except watching more movies.

Cadillac Man is a sea-farin' man and he can't sail but he's always been a wanderer.  He found a career in which they paid him to spend most of his time wandering.  No chance he's going to settle for a TV and a comfortable chair.

Yevette loved to wander but she wanted a baby and she did things mostly the regular way ... until it all exploded on her, all except for the baby who is a grown man now.

My family flew from Australia to Fiji when I was twelve and I didn't realize how exotic it is to be in Australia because I lived there but Fiji put me away as it was a whole new world of mysticism and it was only a few hours from where we had just been.  I never forgot it and I was hooked for life.


Yevette and I talked at some depth earlier of her house and her young man.  The detail of it is not for you to know but it involved a strong emphasis from me on the bad idea of selling the house.  There is no argument and she is clear.

For my part and I know Cadillac Man as well if he were here to speak, Yevette has to have a fall-back and based on the discussion, I'm satisfied it will be there.

My own fallback is England.  Even if some country wants to deport me, I'll flash a UK passport and they will send me there instead of America.  As soon as I land, assuming the Brits don't put me in jail, I'll be looking for a ride to get back in the wind.

Staying in England is not death as I can mooch off the country just like the junkie in Edinburgh although I'll pass on the heroin.  A buzz is good but heroin is for chumps who want to die.  The mooching isn't all that horrible as my family on both sides has been Scot for centuries.  We've been homozygous honkies since people fought with swords and spears.  Mooching from the U.S. sucks because they make you grovel and feel beholden for it and if they don't then Fox News will ... but ... England takes care of her own, mostly.  (I don't take any U.S. benefits because ... America)

My far out front preference for roaming is on two wheels but that doesn't work so well for three ... unless you're in Greece where many times I saw three people on the same scooter.


The biggest question is if there is to be a base somewhere.  That matters when there's stuff you don't want to carry around all the time and can leave it someplace relatively secure.  There will be some cool discussion on that just as soon as I get a working system and can get Skype going again.


Railway passes don't seem much use as the ones I saw in a quick review were five to fifteen day passes and, to my taste, if you're not going to stay somewhere fifteen days then why go there at all.  I saw that all the time with the cruise ships coming into Katakolon as they came in during the night, offloaded the meat cargo, and they took off in air-conditioned, tinted-window tour buses to see Olympia ... then they split before nightfall.  I cannot imagine why anyone would want to do that as it won't give much of an experience of Olympia and it won't give any experience of Greece.

When I went to Olympia, I didn't plan anything and would stay there an hour or all day if the vibe called for it.  For me the experience was so moving it brought tears to my eyes.


Newport, Rhode Island, is a tourist destination in America and I lived just outside the place.  One thing I know about tourists is we hated them.  They clogged up the roads, made it impossible to do anything, and absolutely nobody went down to Newport while tourists were around.  I never invited anyone to come visit to see Newport ... as they would not have seen it unless it were Winter (which actually was a good time to go down there).


This started as complete bullshit but it's evolving quickly into an action plan.


One thing which can happen immediately is to list the lasers for sale.  That's got a condition as what if Apple really does fix the iMac and then I can finish "The End of the World in Fort Worth."  That's important as the only part I haven't filmed is the End of the World song and sure as hell that has smoke and lasers.

A big advantage in doing it for Yevette is it gets a whole lot of hideously ugly hardware out of her house.  She was been completely berserking on cleaning up the place and the lasers need to get with that schedule (i.e. out of here).  I'm sure there is no practical way to get them to Europe and shipping the light scaffolding itself would be ludicrous.  It's not worth that much but it would cost a major corporate CEO's ransom to ship it.


One thing likely to crack up Cat for sure is I'll end up being the German tutor for the crew.

Lesson 1:  don't say 'danke schön' when 'danke' is sufficient.  You won't fool anyone that you can speak German either way as they will know from your pronunciation.  Over-stating things is American.  Don't do it.  Now if someone saves you from drowning then that's worth a 'vielen Dank' but otherwise say less.

It's the same with French and I mentioned it once before that 'voila' does not signify a magic trick.  You completed something and the word is to show that.  Voila.


Mark Wolters reiterated in his videos what I've written frequently here:  so long as you learn the words for manners, you're halfway home.

(I'm charming in-person.  Ask anyone.  Just don't do it online.)

(P.S.  I wasn't too charming at the Apple Store but I did apologize.  I still took the box with me, tho.)

No comments: