Monday, June 15, 2015

Boss GT-100 Amp Modeler V2

The Boss GT-100 is the top of the line amp modeler for Boss and about the middle of last year Boss came out with a V2 software upgrade (i.e. apply it via USB to your existing GT-100).

Ordinarily I would not be all that interested as why change a working device ... but ... it adds a soft MIDI emulation, as opposed to the hardwired MIDI implementation specific to the Godin xtSA.  The latter has been highly wonky of late but that's likely due to a bad cable but it's expensive to replace and I haven't done it.  A software upgrade costs zip and it couldn't possibly provide the same brilliant MIDI translation as the native capability in the xtSA but it's still interesting to know what it can do.

Here's where to get it:  GT-100 Ver.2 Driver Ver.2.0.0 for OS X 10.10


For the moment I have no review as I have not decided whether I will install it.  My enthusiasm for misadventures with software installation at this time is right up there with a wet, sloppy kiss from Jim Inhofe (i.e. I would rather eat a salamander ... raw).


The reason for reviewing GT-100 MIDI capability is I want to know if I can kick off a start command via MIDI to the much-hated drum machine which, despite being much-hated, can at least knock out some standard beats.  That aspect is yet to be discovered but it should be possible.

No comments: