Sunday, June 21, 2015

Ludwig van, Burning Witches, and Cleaning Up after Cats

No.  Hell, no, I did not listen to Ludwig van while cleaning up after cats.  Nor did I consider burning witches although I confess that thought came to me when I did get to the cats, she being the one who brought them into the house.

Ludwig van gives us the Fifth and it was known by its first name long before L.A. thought that sort of thing was cool.  I doubt it was his purpose to fuel the drive to burn witches and / or clean up cats but that extra energy is excellent for those noble goals.

"Beethoven 3" by W.J. Mähler
Licensed under Public Domain via Wikimedia Commons
The painting is from about the same time Beethoven composed the Fifth.  Do you see it in his eyes.  It appears to me he is thinking of the music right now as he is not looking at the artist but rather he seems to be sitting there, tolerating the pose, and the look may be like the man who was about to be executed and called out to those who would do it, "Hurry it up, you Hoosier bastards.  I could have hung a dozen men in this time."

Note:  no idea what he did or if that estimation of his ability to hang people was accurate.


There are only four notes needed before anyone in this dimension knows the music and it's a similar musical situation in the eight notes of Gabriel's trumpet in "The End of the World in Fort Worth."

(Ed: I really don't want to say anything and I hate to even mention it but there is one very small, really tiny difference)

No-one in this dimension outside of this room knows Gabriel's notes in this song?

(Ed: that's the tiny difference, yes)


Well ...

After those notes are fading, we're driving again only this time into darkness.  Gabriel's notes need to linger in memory for a bit as the underlying drone of musical weird sustains the general vibe.  Into that needs to come the guitar which is at first baleful as well.  It definitely has to be solo as maybe we will find another angel stuck on the side of a building somewhere but just can't see him yet.


That road drive clip grows into trips as there is definitely Something Strange Happening and that culminates in dissolving to the scene of the porch with the wizard beckoning to enter.  Maybe that's twenty seconds or so to get there and the guitar has to pick it up from baleful to more brisk in that time such that the subsequent cut to Silas inside the Rockhouse can bring the original riff down hard, maybe with chords this time for a much more emphatic statement of what is still the original riff.

That general idea is how Ludwig van gets it going and I want that.  I'd feel a huge sense of accomplishment even achieving the level of a derivative hack of the master.  It's not my purpose to knock off the symphony but the intro is delicious more than a biologically-correct, living chocolate woman.

It needs a wee bit of geekery for something else I found that makes for some interesting changes.  With a loop built out with bass and keys on the RC-50 looper, that will bring drums with it.  I have some real-time control of how much drumming as the mixer is right next to the keyboard.  Other than dropping the drum volume to zero, there's another way to bring them in and out of the mix.

There's a looper with lesser capability on the Galaxy Guitar's amp emulator.  In using that to record the same chords as coming from the RC-50, I can add a beat-synchronized track to parallel it.  Then I can stop the RC-50 loop to throw out the drums and the keys at once.  Maybe things get reflective with only two guitars in that segment but where things get nuts is in kicking the RC-50 back into it again as that was big fun yesterday.  This is the sort of thing for which I will be looking to the Light Lady to cue a patch change to the lasers / LEDs / moon units.

(Ed:  what Light Lady?)

It's moving more now from what will you play to what will it look like and this is now a request to Yevette to run lights as I've done it previously in a set but that was just grandstanding to show I can.  So what if I can sort of do it as what I want is what does it best.

Yevette, there's nothing much you need to learn for this as the light arrays are set up as patches in a controller which means a single button is the only thing needed to switch from one display to another.  If you want to appear in the video is your choice to make but I do plan on unusual and I will be using the every bit of kit in every possible way my demented mind can envision.

Yes, that does mean costumes of some kind but you have seen that before and I don't want to tell you what I think would be cool as it's whatever YOU think it will be.


For thinking toward that, we know we have seen there is hardly anyone left in Fort Worth and those I saw didn't reveal anything horrible, they just disappear.  Maybe they are kidnapped by space aliens or maybe God lifts them up to Heaven.  All I know as I look as it didn't happen to me ... yet.

The part to show the situation is one Yevette grabbed immediately as there's a scene of a downtown intersection with its traffic light.  There's a Don't Walk sign flashing but there's not a person anywhere around in any direction.

There's no way to know, in driving away, is this Fort Worth or is it everywhere.  Then some even stranger stuff starts happening in going down the road.  Whatever will happen seems it will come soon.  Then we see the wizard.  Come on into the Rockhouse.

We don't know if the Wizard conjured all this as the world's most-twisted way to shanghai a crowd for a concert but I'd like to hope it will come off as more than that.  I don't like explaining what anything I make really means but it's necessary for this one as it's important to achieve the goal of expressing it, the same as with "A Woman in the Snow," that the only way to deal with it if you're really screwed is to throw your middle finger in the air and go down proud.

Note:  this is not an angry song nor is there an angry motivation behind it.  Stretch it if you like to an existential anger that existence must at some point end but that's too long-hair for me.

My hair is only long enough for this:

Mein Wunsch ist dieses Lied ist fucking cool!

Google sagt: verdammt cool.  Google ist nie fucking cool.

In English this time: my wish is this song is fucking cool and that's because I like how Germans say 'fucking cool' as it has no negative connotation, it's simply fucking cool.  When I used Google Translate to reverse translate what I had written (i.e. to verify it by re-translating Google's translation), Google translated it instead to 'verdammt cool' and this, I submit, is highly sissified.  That's what happens when you start eating up those government military contracts, it makes yer googles fall orff.

No comments: