Tuesday, June 16, 2015

The Trifecta of Unusual and This One for Cat

The trifecta is final and there's no winner as I know there's no-one who placed a bet on this horse.

There was an odd banging sound outside and it would only happen once in a while so I didn't make much of it ... but ... it kept on happening and curiosity won.  What in the world is doing this.

Cat said she had to go because she has to feed her babies and I don't exactly look at the cats in the Rockhouse Defense Force as babies but I do get a kick out of feeding them.  The orange and white one still won't come closer than about a meter, tho.

Onward to the Mystery of the Banging Sound:  I couldn't see what was doing it.  The bowl of cat food was out there but the cats were finished with it for now and I didn't see any activity.

But then I closed the door and watched through the glass for a few minutes.  That's when I saw a bluejay fly up and it landed on the edge of the bowl so it could eat some of the cat food.  That seems like a risky move for a bird to take some cat food but bluejays are tough.  They can also defend themselves and check out that beak.  They will defend their nests as aggressively as Australian magpies (i.e. run as these birds will dive bomb you).



The noise came because the bluejay would launch to take off flying and that would lift up one side of the bowl.  After it launched, the bowl would bang back down again.

Mystery solved.


This wasn't quite as unusual as the call from the BBC but I'm counting it for the trifecta of unusual things today.

No comments: