Saturday, November 22, 2014

Maybe Sarah Palin Could Get to Know Some Hispanics

All she sees in Alaska is Russia and there are probably not so many Hispanics coming to Alaska from Russia.

Practically everyone in this neighborhood is Hispanic.  Every so often ladies come to the door but they apologize when I answer as they hear me speaking English and know right away I would not fit in their church.  They aren't being racist but rather pragmatic as how can anyone receive Jesus if they don't speak Spanish.  Fair enough.

The biggest thing I see in Hispanics is surprise when I show good manners and, contrary to how I may appear, my manners are almost always good.  I like it when a fat girl smiles when you may be the only person who even recognized all day that she breathes.  It's not the same when I hold the door for a Hispanic lady and I get a look of 'thanks for not being an asshole.'  It's not their intention but I feel like an asshole because they shouldn't have to be concerned about someone being an asshole, especially over something so minor as common courtesy in opening a door.

'Representing' is very important to me as I don't believe anyone who saw me along the road in Europe would have called me pretty but they wouldn't have called me an 'ugly American' either.


So about every twenty years there's another amnesty program for illegal immigrants.  Each time there is all manner of hoo-ha about how it will destroy the fiber of the country.  Then they approve it and things quieten back down for the next twenty-year cycle.

Some talk of building a huge defensive wall along the 'southern perimeter' to prevent these dastardly incursions but I've reviewed previously there's not a wall in history that hasn't fallen down and, wtf, even if it doesn't the Germans will just go around it (i.e. Maginot Line).  Clever.

NAFTA, on the surface, was to address the problem as increasing manufacturing / assembly plants in Mexico should provide jobs, boost the standard of living, etc and none of it costs the state a dime.  As we've seen, it didn't change a thing but the corporations made a bundle of profit in hiring low-wage workers so they have shipped US jobs all over the place.


There isn't really any solution beyond addressing global income disparities as the kid who was diving into the sewage water to catch spare change is going to use any power he can ever command to find someplace he doesn't have to do that.  It doesn't matter how big the wall you build as he will climb over it or die trying.  You saw it with the Berlin Wall as people would only have the chance to sprint against a bullet and still they would try.

No comments: