Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Artists Make Lousy Husbands

The Mystery Lady can tell you better than anyone the best way to ensure you never see an artist ... is to marry him.  (That was my mistake in failing to understand there's a whole world of difference between knowing what loving someone means and what settling down means.  I still don't know what the latter means.)

For equal representation, it should also be observed that some artists are total horndogs.  Picasso is known for a photograph in which he as an older gentleman is seen talking with a young Brigitte Bardot and the biggest question from it is who was seducing whom.

So, if'n yer lookin' fer warm nights, definitely find one of that kind of artist.

Conversely, we have Seurat, father of pointillism, who lived with his mother and there's a good chance he was never laid in his life.  I didn't study his life but that was what I saw from a brief view.

In sum, you have yer horndog artists and you have yer workaholic artists.  Plus you have some in the middle who muddle about all the time painting pictures of seagulls over the stormy sea.


However, horndoggery has also destroyed more artists than heroin.  Good sex and a warm place to crash have taken one hell of a lot of artists out of the game over the millennia and that won't stop any time soon.  That's how it's supposed to work, tho.  How bad do you want it.

If you ask want what then maybe art is a hobby.

But Picasso says fuck that, I want some strange.


My ol' Dad only ever asked me one thing:  are you playing.  If yes, all is good and nothing more to say.  He knew it was good because it had been the same with him.  I remember him walking around on the hill while six kids played with a ball on a field and my ol' Mother watched us.  I could see him up there, smoking his pipe and looking all scientific, and he was looking a million miles away.  I don't recall resenting it but rather it made me wonder what being all scientific was like.

Tip:  I never figured it out.

But I did figure out I would have been the same way.  I don't mean to judge him as I don't know whether he was good or bad as a father.  He must have done something right or I would be dead from the insane things I have done.  I breathe ... so I should judge that.  Not today.

(Ed:  you don't breathe so well)

Dat's a fact.  He didn't either.  Some lessons he fucked-up ... but ... I see kids smoking today and I don't know who fucked-up.  Obviously I did but sticking him with it isn't fair as I observe kids smoke today anyway despite massive warnings of the consequences.


So he was the consummate artist insofar as he could not possibly stop.  Whether you liked his work is irrelevant as it's the same for any artist that most people will think yer work is shit.

Cat made a reference to Yoko Ono earlier and the (cough) artists started yapping about Katy Perry.  Why should anyone compare the two as Yoko has been a performance artist for decades and her musical point is beyond making Neil Sedaka melodies.  So Katy Perry sings pretty songs.  Ivory Soap is 99.4% pure.  Like I give a fuck.


I want to elicit for once a 'not too bad' out of my family.  It's pitiful as I know they won't do it and I understand why Lotho doesn't.  It was quite a crusher to discover the concerts were not religion with him.  I guess that's really not so important as it's just cool we did that stuff.  So I see why he doesn't do it.  Maybe the others don't know but I sent out a lot of CDs over the years.

As to reciprocal, yah, that was me popping off all those pics of yer kids while you were all too busy ripping the shit out of each other to remember I was alive.  I don't feel particularly guilty about any reciprocal aspect as I've tried to share just about everything I ever did and I've tried to support anything whenever I knew about it.


My concern about who is developing and / or appreciating art is only partly in my own context.  One of the 'kids' asked if I don't like his music anymore.  We talked and I said I don't like this but I do like that.  Who and why is irrelevant as you play / create / whatever you do or you turn into a potato.  He said it was fair enough and he appreciated what I said.  Whether it's he or anyone else, you need the greed for finding out what else you can do.  Obviously you can do something at least a little bit well or you wouldn't be doing it at all so what else is there.  It's always wanting more.

If anyone loses that greed, you need to ask why.  I have not lost that greed, it's just harder now.  Maybe what I do will always suck but how should I know unless I keep doing it to find out.  My ol' Dad knew the truth of this and that's why he always asked if I played.  He never asked are you in love, do you have good sex, did you see a movie, did you eat at Joe's Steakhouse or so.


This is much less about me than it seems as sometimes art changes from playing piano to writing romance novels.  They're artists.  They're fookin' crazy.

No comments: