Wednesday, November 19, 2014

"The Cat in the Space Between Things" - Working the Lyrics

Part II is the original 'Space between Things' although not in the same key.  The key doesn't matter for the lyrics as I will read them rather than sing them and the words are extended considerably.  I've just tried that and I'm pleased with the flow.

The lyrics for Part I are longer and I haven't as yet sounded them out with the music.  I wasn't so sure Part II would work even though some of the lyrics came from the original.

A big problem in delivering the lyrics as how do I read them through smoke and multiple lasers.  The answer is likely the iPad as it would be nice if it served as something other than an alarm clock once in a while.

Another possibility is to pre-record the spoken word and load those tracks onto the iPad for delivery during the song.  That is kind of a T. rex form of Ableton Live.  If it were for sound samples I would be tempted but I don't think that solution has the authenticity I want for vocal in a video.

The current 'Space between Things' is highly-introspective, tripful, blah, blah.  That's quite a bit different from anything with lyrics.  Words can say introspective things but there's nothing particularly introspective in reading them to someone else whereas playing an instrument is inherently introspective.

What that all means is the Silas Magnum Opus could run out quite a while.  It doesn't matter to me how long it goes, all together now, so long as it doesn't suck.

It's a twisted irony in music that most of the time is spent thinking about it rather than playing anything.

No comments: