Saturday, June 1, 2013

Healing and Reeling at Cat's Art MusikCircus

Joaquin Gustav came back to Cat's Art MusikCircus to play his Healing Friday set.


Joaquin Gustav has been playing for Cat on Friday nights for five years!  You measure Second Life years the same as dog years where one year equals seven in real-time as things move a whole lot faster in there so five years is quite a long time.  That shows the dedication to music and loyalty to each other that is quite a beautiful thing.

Joaquin has such a gentle manner that you can't help loving him.  That he's a hot-looking young Argentinian guitar player doesn't hurt either!  His manner is not just a pose he strikes on-stage as Joaquin really is that way.  He is a very good man and when he brings Healing on Friday, it comes from his heart.

Gentle does not at all mean slow as he is one very fast guitar player.  It's brilliant that he can play with such speed and with such delicacy.  No-one can go to a concert by Joaquin and not want to dance and dance we did!


The hour with Joaquin flew by and Voodoo had other commitments this week so he wasn't scheduled to play.  Right at the end of Joaquin's set I had the bright idea, hey, would you like me to play.  This might not have been my best idea as the guitar wasn't tuned and none of the gear was ready but, sure, let's go for it!




This wasn't from the show last night as Cat shot it the day before but I love those Tiger eyes!

Last night was the closest yet to how I want Silas to sound.  I didn't even have a hint of a plan or a set list except I wanted to do "Das Hausboot Song" better than the first time.  I'm not sure if I did as there wasn't time to change the reverb on the vocal but it sounded more clear to me and it felt much better doing it.  The first part of the set went that way with a generally relaxed vibe and this was going well as I was surprised to see people coming.  I had asked Cat not to bother sending notices as I didn't want her to have to work ... but I know she did anyway.  Still wondering why I love her, are you?  (laughs)

The most important thing isn't so much whether people are coming but rather whether the people who are already there don't go.  If you're focused on oh man, I sure wish more people were here then your set is already running away from you as your focus is not on the people who already came to show you some love.  Give them some love back!

So Silas love is blowing stuff up.  Always has been!  I saw Cat mention the Necromancer so of course I jumped on that.  Anytime someone remembers one of my songs and mentions it by name I will sure do it!  I'm very, very concerned about getting trapped by the back tracks but I changed the balance a little bit last night and that gave a whole lot of freedom to play so it felt really good to get ripping into the song.

I'm pulling the back tracks from an iPad as there's no other way to do it but that's difficult as it won't stop at the end of a song.  I couldn't catch it in time so it went straight on into "On the Road with a Mouse and a Chicken" so, ok, let's do that one too and that also felt great.  I'm pretty sure I haven't done that one before so that also felt very good and then there was a bit of steam rolling.

I guess about that time I realised the hour was just about gone as, sure, it's time for some rat love and "I Love Rats" was completely insane which is absolutely what I want ... but stop at the end of the hour.  Hell no!

It didn't stop until yet another hour had gone by and this one was, hands down, the best show so far.  Plus my back didn't hurt after it was over.  Cat had worried that my back was sore after playing a long time once before but that's no pain / no gain stuff and, sure enough, this time it was fine.  Plus my hair was wet even after I took my shirt off midway through the show.  That may be more graphic detail than you need but it's just to say that I used to need a shower after every show and it looks like they could be heading that way again.  I'm most pleased!!

Cat, I love you, Baby!  Thank you for a wonderful evening and a wonderful Healing Friday!

No comments: