Friday, September 15, 2017

Sometimes it Gets Brutal on the Trail of the #Blotto

Disclaimer:  this is straight-up writing of active lung cancer in me but nothing in the #Blotto set of articles has been written with thoughts of trying to shock or disturb.  However, the last twelve hours have been brutal and my own requirement is to be truthful about it so the following became my answer.


Dealing with the brutality straight-up as with any other aspect of the situation has been my promise and, above all, that promise needs my respect.  The informational aspect is this happened not because of the cancer but rather that which goes with it due to the medicine and the severely-constrained diet which comes as a result.  The point of this part is there needs to be recognition of the twisted potential for constipation from this.  In knowing of this, hopefully you avoid that which came down on me last night but which seems mostly in abeyance now.

Tip:  I don't have one of these devices but have used a small wicker box instead.  American and maybe to a lesser extent European toilet design is poor relative to easing the process of, erm, the elimination of detritus and raising one's feet definitely helps in achieving a more natural position.  Here's the device at Amazon:  Squatty Potty The Original Bathroom Toilet Stool, White, 9"


Some email arrived when I was writing the first #Blotto tonight but it brought a whole lot wonderful.  You might like to read the first #Blotto tonight about keeping the focus on the wonderful.  (Ithaka:  Sometimes it Sucks a Little on the Trail of the #Blotto)

My niece, the CowboyHatGirl, had sent the email after someone advised her of the #Blotto circumstance.  As with most people, the #Blotto gives a vibe of helplessness since what can she possibly do.

I did tell her not to worry since her email gives a beautiful reason to hold my focus where it needs to be.


Zen Yogi:  why is she the CowboyHatGirl?

When she was a teeny tiny, her mother, Barbie, took her out to try skiing.  I don't recall the age but she was extremely young and nervy too considering what it takes for someone so young trying to ski at all.

She was also stylin' since I believe she wore pink ski togs and she wore a cowboy hat to set off the outfit.  Since she was so young, I could ski with my skis far apart so I could hold her li'l hands as we skied on down the hill like that.  She's been in Colorado for the last ten years so she must have been able to work a whole lot of skiing into that.

Note:  I think Queen Bee might have invented that technique since it didn't seem her determination so much was to become the Olympic skier but she loved teaching the juniors and she was great at it.

Doing that was one of Life's Choice Moments and her email definitely triggered the memory.  Telling her she is doing exactly the thing which does help is sincere since that memory brings an immediate smile and it's not one which quickly disappears.  This was entirely fortuitous since I'm poor at keeping up with email so it was dumb luck which revealed this one.  Some may regard that Dumb Luck is something attributable to a more metaphysical source and I have no reason to argue about that one way or the other.

Note:  I'm still the same Happy Heathen I ever was but nothing I ever read in Anthropology gave any sign heathens are atheists since all cultural entities seem to have some kind of religion.  The Ulithi islanders in the Pacific would likely be considered heathens but they also set a place at the table for those who had departed.

It's not my purpose to solicit emails, particularly when it may be some while before I see them but the alanfraser email address at icloud is the most reliable.  More isn't necessarily better but if you need to write an email then let it rip.


The CowboyHatGirl also wrote of inspiration and this part floored me yet in the most wonderful kind of way.  She explained that she picked up her inspiration from all the photos I shot of my nieces and nephews since Barbie put them up all over the place.  CowboyHatGirl saw how much her mother loved the pictures and that set her off the epiphany in her to tell her this is what I want to do.

In the early days of learning how to photograph things, we may go around shooting dumb ass things and I know I did.  That B&W photo of an empty can of beer in the garden had such cosmic significance, after all.  She probably knows now the period of shooting crappy photographs likely comes to any photographer but the determined ones hang through it and the CowboyHatGirl proved to herself she is one of them.

That the epiphany is real is shown by whether they stick with it and she told me eventually her mother came to love her work and she showed it by displaying her photographs proudly and even enlarging them for that display.  To be any part of the inspiration for that is a monumental joy for me and particularly since I had no awareness of it previously.

Zen Yogi:  maybe you were a tad thick, Silas?

That thought has occurred to me multiple times, Yogi.


She also embraces the idea of using this time to profess all you need is love and of course I sent love back to her.  I send that love again now since she sent another email to tell me of the personal relevance of Pooh and Piglet for her in thinking of the grandparents and that was deeply touching.  When she sees the #Blotto as a force hopeful of reuniting the family, it shows me the #Blotto is working for much more than my own edification.

Zen Yogi:  and that gives Reason?

Of course it does, Yogi.

Here is some kozmik for you in that the cartoon of Winnie the Pooh and Piglet came from Pink and he couldn't possibly have known the result of that but it turned out to be part of the reason the CowboyHatGirl has contacted me now.  (Ithaka:  Zen and Winnie the Pooh)

Zen Yogi:  everything goes around?

It's kind of a thin way to say it but it's true nevertheless and it's a clear example of the Theory of Propagated Goodness since Pink didn't know of what would come from the cartoon but now you see the second stage of that in what becomes of the Goodness he sent.


Zen Yogi:  don't you think your inventive mind could come up with a better name than CowboyHatGirl?

I'm on it, bear buddy, but for now it stands until I come up with something more clever (i.e. shorter).


Hopefully this #Blotto shows you I won't omit anything to get past the NBC censors or whatever.  Why should you believe any of this if that truth isn't real.  Therefore, the next question to me is how to deliver that truth while also doing it as gently as possible.  The news from CowboyHatGirl does well hopefully to couch that and reaffirm some parts of this definitely suck hard but, equally clearly, some parts do not and they're the best parts ever.


Much love to you all and particularly the CowboyHatGirl this morning.

No comments: