Friday, September 29, 2017

Salisbury Cathedral Comes to Us from Almost a Millennium


Photo:  Silas - It hasn't been modified for detail in any way but I did fiddle with the light to give it what I felt was more more liveness.


The Salisbury Cathedral was completed about seven hundred and fifty years ago so it has been through the darkest of historical times yet still stands today.  It was standing here during the Black Death so the history goes so deep it's almost untouchable.  Almost a millennium of souls have occupied this place and, regardless of your metaphysical beliefs, it has a deep presence.  It's awe-inspiring simply to be near it.

Throughout all that time she was watching from up here.

Sorry but I have no idea who she is and she looks magnificent to me as she sits and watches over these entrance doors.


My visit to the Cathedral was fortuitous since I had not much plan beyond fumbling my way and finding Edinburgh after working my way up from the South.  I was still traveling on Haximoto, my beloved scooter, and she was carrying more of my life's holdings than any overladen scooter ever should.  The saga of that grand trek, otherwise known as Mister Toad's Wild Ride, fills a large section of Ithaka in 2013.

Finding places like Salisbury Cathedral with the fortuity or the serendipity of it all was a marvel since I'm not a Christian but there are places all over which hold a presence of some kind and Salisbury is one of them.  I don't have any kind of a metaphysical explanation for it since that presence can be felt amid a tall stand of the ancient trees when you're deep in the forest with them.

We don't need an explanation of what it may be since our interest is in finding places like that.  It's likely no surprise that Stonehenge was another one.


Zen Yogi:  probably a lot of ghosts, Silas

Sure, Yogi, there are likely many of them all over the place.  How about coming back around here after nightfall.  That should provide plenty of psychic excitement and enrichment.

Zen Yogi:  I get all the psychic enrichment I need from KFC Chicken, mate

That works too, Yogi.

No comments: