Wednesday, September 20, 2017

The Ever More Unusual is Good on the Trail of the #Blotto

Disclaimer: this is straight-up writing of active lung cancer in me but nothing in the #Blotto set of articles has been written with thoughts of trying to shock or disturb.  I am using in-home hospice and that's the best circumstance I could hope relative to being in a hospice clinic or, worst of all, to be admitted to a hospital.


The great vibe continues from the visit of Queen Bee and Doc yesterday.  The Delta is one aspect I shouldn't omit since another view of Delta delta is the change in me in about a week since the last time Queen Bee came down here.  We didn't talk about it much yesterday except for me to say I didn't want things to look for them so medical but it was ok.  Queen Bee had a unique perspective on that since she has seen how it goes for any day at random.

I've emphasized that some aspects of the #Blotto really suck but it's different to have that in your face as in yours not mine.  Even so, the visit was monumentally cool and still is since we accept that reality and continue in the pursuit of the goodness within it.  I don't mean to soft sell the situation and it's not so good just this minute.  Even so, we look for the best vibe.

Note:  hospice is sending a different med and it will be delivered tonight.  Hopefully that will get it done and I'm impressed again by the responsiveness from Heartland.


One of the most unusual things I discovered in this time is the oxygen generator makes hiccups stop.  It was a blessing to find since hiccups were coming every few seconds for more more unusual than I have really needed but maybe ten minutes or so on oxygen and the hiccups stop.  I've no idea what that means but I thought it was kind of highly cool.

Using the machine is a drag because all machines are a drag one way or the other but using it throws it in your face about the medical aspect.  When that's optional, my first choice is not to do it although I need the machine quite a bit so I typically use it when no-one is around.  This new effect from it was a total surprise so Yahoo on that.

Zen Yogi:  that's really weird, Silas

Don't I know it, mate, so I never would have guessed such an effect would come and that makes it all the bigger bang when I experience it.  Unknown if that's useful information in your own trips but I did think it was kind of novel.


The next definite coolness is when Tinkerbell and Seraphin land Saturday morning.  The timing is confirmed again as of a few minutes ago so looking forward to it with great excitement is now the appropriate move and feels entirely grand to do.  I'll have seen by Saturday more relatives in four days than I had seen in the previous four years and it's been continuously wonderful in doing it, especially in seeing the prospect for more of it.

I have been hiding, Doc, and from practically everyone.  I see the error in that now so I do apologize but everything comes back to the same answer with the Unity of the Clan and it really is exactly the tour Doc suggested this morning.  (Ithaka:  I Missed Your Point Altogether on the Reconciliation Tour, Doc)


One of the greatest jams in this has been the time talking to Doc about guitars.  The subject has been historically something of a mystery between us but now it isn't except for the detail in how it worked out for him but that's the same with every bluesman and it comes straight from "Crossroads" with Ralph Macchio and Joe Seneca.  Legba said, "Nothing is ever as good as you hope it will be, bluesman.  You know that."

Note:  that quote is probably exact since I've watched "Crossroads" multiple times.  Many times people watch it only for the guitar duel at the end for the most remarkable guitar battle when hard-core shredding and pure classical start cuttin' heads.  The play from both of them is sensational but there's a much bigger message when it's considered in the entirety of the story.  Ralph Macchio does a superlative job as the Stupid but Gifted White Boy while Joe Seneca plays the Old and Wise Black Bluesman so perfectly that the interplay between them was magnificent.


Legba sounds much worse on the surface than the message really says since he's the Devil and he really doesn't want it to sound too good.  Nevertheless, it's just another way of saying, "Dream big, it just might happen."  You all know it probably won't happen but it doesn't say straight out is that by dreaming big anything which does come short will still be extremely damn cool.

Doc said, "It just seemed to be something I needed to do," and that says it perfectly since everything after that is the detail of it.  Feeling that need is the wonderful monster since it makes no sense for me to do it but, just as with him, the need comes just the same.  Only a few get to be like Jimmy Page but any of us is welcome to try and the need to him probably came just as it did with me although more likely an inspiration was Duane Allman while I saw the Music God in Hendrix.

Only the luckiest come to that at an early age and usually will come at the behest of parents.  The decisions become different with such people since they likely learned the book training needed to pursue music (i.e. sight-reading of notation, at least some knowledge of composition, etc).  It seems the decision for the kid then comes why not pursue it since, wtf, I'm already good at it.  Whether that makes a difference is for the musicologist to determine but, as probably goes with Doc as well, it's not necessary to analyze since all I really want is to play.


What do you know since this #Blotto drifted to the music and I don't know that when I start writing.  I bring to the report whatever happened of a factual nature in this day and then it may drift to wherever based mostly on those facts.  Today it becomes a jam with Doc in the only way it can and I know I get his notes right since I didn't say what any of them are.  It becomes a jam on wtf kind of lunacy told you it's a good idea to devote a major part of your life to it.  As Doc knows, it may not be a practical lunacy but sometimes or many times the impractical lunacy is exactly the thing to yield the most in other things or sometimes even the big bucks for the practical if you're really, really good or, most importantly, you're really different but people find they like the difference.

Figuring out why people like it is the next biggest execise for the musicologist but likely Doc already knows the only important thing is you like playing in this different manner no matter what it may be. When you're additionally lucky, you find this difference and the receptiveness to it in audiences at the same point in time.  That's when stars for all-time are born.

Zen Yogi:  you weren't a star.  Neener, neener.

Actually I was in my own virtual world within Second Life as that has all the accoutrements of stardom in the real world but without the parts which must really suck like paparazzi trying to get into your face to take a picture all the time.

Zen Yogi:  that's still not a real star!

Of course not in any conventional sense but it was real within that virtual world since, what do you know, they dig the music.  In that context, it was reality which is cool since it's validating as well.

Zen Yogi:  I could put up with some paparazzi when some big pile of jingle jack comes with it

Sure you could, my furry bear buddy, but that's all about different strokes since it would drive me right up a wall.

I don't know how Doc may have found that kind of thinking in his own life and speculating has no value but I find when I'm really on top of it that everyone is a star when he or she plays.

Zen Yogi:  what?  Even the ones who really stink.

Check out the alternate frame of reference since hearing it means the musician thought it was worth bringing it to you.  Therefore, actually playing it, even if in your judgment it stinks, is the actualization of that for the musician.

Zen Yogi:  there won't be too many gigs that way

If the musician continues then those gigs may very well come since he or she will pay a whole lot of dues along the way and people can hear that experience.  They love that you're willing to take the big risk in being rejected altogether but making it with them brings another challenge.

When you made your bones by being different in some way, the difference disappears relative to anything else when seen by the relatively small subset of people who do get it.  Now you can worry about whether your new material is different enough to enjoy all the neurosis you could possibly need.

Zen Yogi:  shut up and play?

That's how it goes, Yogi.  It's with me; it's with anyone.  Don't analyze ... play.


Much love to you all as finding I could say that musically was all the stardom I ever needed.  I can't tell you how any of this thinking manifested in Doc's world but that's his story to tell anyway.  What I do know is it meant enough to him to keep some of his guitars on the wall.  The beauty part in those guitars is they were gorgeous axes.  I had done the same thing with tremendous help from ML in a different style to make the Galaxy Guitar the most beautiful instrument which ever existed.  Both of us win with that since we already know where the most beautiful axe in the world lives.  He has one up there and I have one down here.

Zen Yogi:  that's the Fraser stylin'  It has to be there.

It just might be, mate.


How about one more for the tiger.  Much love to you all.

Zen Yogi:  wtf is this about a tiger?

Whenever there was a series of hip, hip, hoorays, my ol' Dad would say, "And one for the tiger."

Then we would do it again but I don't think anyone ever knew who the tiger was.  I figure a theme of much love to you all deserves a tiger, whatever it is.

Zen Yogi:   ROARRR

No comments: