Friday, August 1, 2014

Oh, Just One More Thing

The Mystery Lady and I had been married for some while and I must have been thinking the relationship was stable enough to withstand loud and abusive guitar playing so we went off to Denny Heglin's Music Store in Covington, Kentucky.  Going into a music store only has one resolution:  spend a lot of money and then you can come back out again.  Camera stores work this way as well.

After deciding I had everything I needed, I said we ought to get on to check out with this stuff.  That was uneventful until Denny asked me if there might be anything else and that's when the Mystery Lady said, oh, just one more thing.

With great surprise, I asked her one more what?

A microphone.

For what?  No possible chance I'm going to sing.

Then she said she would.

I was flabbergasted and of course I bought the mike.

I'm not even sure how many years we had been married and I did not know she sang.  In fact, she had sung with a group in high school and her brother had been in a band that toured opening for Paul Revere and the Raiders.  He was the drummer and ultimately the band went on to record "Billy, Don't Be a Hero" which was an absolutely awful song but achieved some pop success.  He had dropped out of the band before then and you can't blame the drummer for the song anyway.

So the Mystery Lady got a little bit of a chance to shine but not anything like what she should have had.  Some of you have heard her and know she's got an angelic set of pipes ... and she can also hammer "Rebel Yell" harder than Billy Idol ever dreamed.  That was some funny stuff too as we would be playing that and she would be singing it and jumping up and down while she did it.  Some stuff doesn't mean a damn thing but it is such a wild gas to do it.

(Ed:  video?)

All I can do is heave a big sigh on that one.  This period was even prior to getting much video happening and none of the early shows were recorded in any way.  There is a videotape of the second show but no-one knows what happened to it.  I have no idea if there were copies.  Thank you to Steve Weston for trying as there would have been nothing at all otherwise.

No comments: