Thursday, July 31, 2014

About those Jams

There was playing last night.  "Rockin' the Free World" can work on a looper but I don't know if I'll do it.  That seems like heresy to me.  There's only one person who ever rocked the free world solo and it's a bit presumptuous to try for the title.

That didn't make a groove happen so I turned off all the distortion and set up a little three chord loop from maj7 to minor to major up a third.  Very simple and at first I thought that's just a lump of nothing.

I started fiddling about and, sure, there's a groove in this ... better yet, there's a melody.  A riff is good to find but a melody is better, maybe.  There are no definitions or generalizations as what says something is a riff or a melody.  For me the latter is longer and has the potential to vary somewhat without being wrecked.  A riff usually needs to stay constant and maybe you move it 1-4-5 to get some twelve-bar.  It's all good ... but it ain't a melody.

Last night this melody was dancing around in there as you can play your lead and one note suggests another.  This is all mathematical, cosmical, and / or psychophenomenological (that one was for the Cadillac Man) and that's all good too ... but it ain't melody.

(Ed:  melody is what that is not?)

That's kind of the case here, Sergeant.

You'll know it when you hear it and I was getting little tears in my eyes as this is why I play.  I want to hear something I never heard before and I want it to sound the way I want it to sound.  When that starts coming, it's like the lover running to you out of the rain.  You found her!  You take damn good care of her as she's cold and wet and it's probably your asshole fault she was out in the rain anyway.

This sounds like it went on longer than it did as I'm guessing 20-25 minutes.  It starts to pay off and some strength comes.  Something kicked my ass real good but that was just a freebie so things settle back to regular level of suckness.  That's ok as that won't stop playing.  I didn't even show you a fraction of the devastation when I couldn't physically do the gig for Zaphod.   I don't want to talk about it now ... I just want to play ... and I fookin' will.

No comments: