Friday, December 28, 2012

Results and Annotation for Game Ten of the Great Greek Chess Tournament

Live blogging doesn't make much logical sense unless zombies or androids write blogs but, given the Internet presence of the NRA, that possibility shouldn't be overlooked.  I had considered posting the moves as they were made and that's what they call live blogging but, given that I'm alive and I blog, it seems to me anything I do is live blogging.  Also given that this is a world that, through the insidious expression 'going viral,' has equated popularity with the spread of a hideous disease, no abuse of the language should come as a surprise.  Welcome to the Matrix!

So I didn't do it move by move as Mary brought over some quite delicious curried chicken and this rapidly became the fancy of the many cats and dogs who live here.  We played outside as Zeus has smiled on the last five days and the warm weather and sunshine was quite delicious also.  However, that gave a clear shot at the food by the critters and there was no way of balancing a laptop in that mix.

The annotation will show the moves of the game so I'll leave that for the play by play.  I have pretty good confidence the moves were accurately recorded when written by hand during the course of the game.  I'm somewhat less confident of the accuracy of the transcription to HTML as that part was quite blinding.  Hopefully I got it down correctly.  (Note:  the annotation is written from the perspective of black.)

If you don't play chess then the annotation will be meaningless so I'll cut right to it:  Mary kicked my ass again!  The score is now 5.5:4.5 and the away team has a one game lead again!

Herewith the annotation!   (Updated due to omission of moves at several points in the game.  I'll cop the plea that the transcription process in converting the notes to HTML is blinding and I must find a better way to do it.  Obviously it needs to be done without error but the process creates error and that's the problem to solve.  1/1/13)

White (Mary)Black (Alan)
P B7-B6P D2-D4
B C8-A6B C1-G5
P F7-F6B G5-H4
P G7-G5B H4-G3
P H7-H5P H2-H3
P H5-H4B G3-H2
K B8-C6P E2-E3
Q E8-H5B F1-E2
B A6-E2K G1-E2
Q H5-G4K B1-C3
K C6-B4Q E2-D2
P E7-E6P A2-A3
K B4-D5Castle Kingside
K G8-E7R H1-G1
Castle KingsideP G2-G3
P H4-G3B H2-G3
R H8-H3P F2-F4
P G5-G4K C3-D5
K E7-D5K E2-C3
P F6-F5Q D2-D3
P E6-D5Q D2-D3
R C8-E8P C2-C4
R E8-E4P C4-D5
Q G6-E8R C1-E1
P D7-D6Q D3-C3
R H3-H7R G1-G2
Q E8-H5R G2-C2
P H5-H3B G3-H2
R H7-E7B H2-G1
P C7-C5P D4-C5
P E7-C7R E1-E2
Q H3-F1King B1-A2
Q F1-G1Q C3-F6
B F8-G7Q F6-F5
P B6-C5Q F5-G6
Q G1-D1Q C6-D6
P C5-C4R E2-D2
Q D1-F3R D2-D4
B G7-D4R C2-C4
B D4-C5R C4-C5
R E4-E7R C5-B5
King B8-C8Q D6-A6
R C7-B7R B5-C5
King C8-D8P D5-D6
Q F3-E3P D6-E7
Q E3-E7R C5-D5
R B7-D7R D5-B5
Q E7-F7P B2-B3
R D7-D2K A2-B2
Q F7-H7P F4-F5
Q H7-H1Checkmate

2 comments:

Laughing Gecko said...

Thanks for posting your chess game. I was playing through what was turning out to be an interesting game, when apparently the heat of battle interfered with the listing of moves. White's 8th move with the Queen doesn't make sense(?). Maybe some moves got away unlisted? Keep annotating the games though. Playing it out made me feel like I was right there looking over your shoulder seeing what each side was thinking. Actually, some of your moves left me wondering just what you were thinking. Just kidding! It made me want to play some chess and knowing you're in Greece made me want a gyro. Wish I were there. Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

Holy cow, I only made it eight moves before I borked it! I'm sure I still have my notes and will review as the error is more likely in transcription than in the original notation. I've got to find a better way to do it as this one wasn't much fun plus it didn't even work (laughs) but I would like to bring them to you if there's any practical way to do it.

Oh yes, do go for the gyro. Here they just call them pitas but that's the same thing and quite scrumptious they are!

Happy New Year!