Sunday, December 2, 2012

It's Not What You Believe but What You Know

Spiritualism isn't a matter of belief but rather what I have seen and felt for myself.  There's no need to believe anything but rather to keep your mind and your spirit open to everything that is around you and within you and don't let it be clouded by things that will distort or subdue that perception.

Some feel a need to suppress the perceptions they see or feel as the pain in them is too much but the act of suppression itself doesn't reduce the pain and instead increases and prolongs it.  We also seek sometimes greedily to keep things we can no longer have but that seeking doesn't prolong the joy of what it was and instead heightens the sense of the loss of it.  In accepting that things are the way they have to be and that things happen because they must, you bring yourself to a state of the present rather wandering hopelessly in the past.  You can read more on this from Eckhart Tolle and he won't deliver a sermon but rather he will talk to you about living now.  While Tolle does talk to some extent about the nature of God, he won't tell you at all what to believe.

The reason I fell apart last night was that I had known all day what had happened with Circe Broom but I logged into the world last night and saw that Circe was logged in as well.  My friend told me that it was a very tough lady, Amy Ferguson, who was giving some deep love of her own to Circe by taking care of business matters for her.  Amy and I talked but the messages were tagged with Circe's name and this shattered my sense of now as I knew what had happened so these messages couldn't possibly be happening and yet they were.  I knew what they were and I knew why it was happening but seeing her name as if she were magically still alive was too much.

I was very surprised by what happened as there were floods of tears and I couldn't control my emotions or even my breathing.  This is what the past can do to you as seeing the messages with Circe's name on them forced me into the past because logically they couldn't possibly be happening now.  All day I had been hearing Circe's voice, not speaking to me from the past in relived conversations but rather speaking now to say everything is alright.  That's why I didn't feel so much upset yesterday as I won't ever lose what we had, I have only lost what hadn't happened yet and I can't know what that would have been so there is no reason to lament over it.  I was terribly upset last night as it couldn't logically have been happening and that threw me but deep down I have peace.

The only problem with living now, 'in the moment,' is that you can focus too much on your 'self' in terms of what am I, who am I, etc.  From my own experience, I don't see that looking for my 'self' really serves any purpose as who it is that looks and what is it that it sees.  Logically they are two entities so if one is the 'self' then necessarily the other one is a construct.  Keith Richards was asked what goes through his mind when he plays and he said nothing at all.  That may sound vacant but really it's full actualization in which his mind and self are tuned perfectly to the present and to the music he is making.  The music flows and millions around the world feel their hearts lifted by it.

Keith Richards isn't the fastest guitarist who ever lived, he doesn't play the most esoteric chords, and he doesn't play the most complex music but he is by far the best at doing what Keith Richards does and this is what gives the purity to his music.  He isn't trying to emulate anyone else or trying to reach for something he can't have and if they were any lesson he would ever teach then I suspect this would be the one.  Just play it.

Some may be offended at any idea that I was the best of anything as there are much better guitarists - they're faster, slicker, and cooler - but there is no-one who is better at doing what I do so long as I stay true to what I do.  If I try to do anything else then any kid with his first Stratocaster will clear my clock but I have already lost if I'm not doing what I was meant to do and instead try to do something that was meant for someone else.  You will know the difference in your own life, you just have to be open to feel it.

No comments: