Saturday, December 15, 2012

"Les Miserables" 25th Anniversary Concert (video)

This is the entire concert and it runs 2:49 so make sure you've got a comfortable chair.




This is the most moving piece of music I've ever heard and it was written by one man:  Claude-Michel Schönberg.  The lyrics were written in French by Alain Boublil, Herbert Kretzmer, and Jean-Marc Natel.  The genius in their creation is more than I can describe.

It's also the genius of Victor Hugo in the magnificent scope of the story.  Something I didn't know is that he was better known to the French as a poet rather than a playwright.

The reason for the interest right now is that I wasn't aware that "Les Miserables" is about to be released as a musical in American theaters on January 1st.  It's already opened in England.  Hugh Jackman plays Jean Valjean and Russell Crowe plays Javert.  Anne Hathaway plays Fantine and you can see the entire cast on IMDb.

I'm just watching the end of it now and it plays to every emotion inside you.  Maybe it's my favorite performance of any kind.  I've seen it on Broadway three times, watched the 10th Anniversary DVD countless times, etc, etc.  It's more magnificent than I can possibly describe and I shamelessly shed buckets of tears every single time.

No comments: