Saturday, December 1, 2012

Singing in the Rain ... on the Scooter

And I was too, singing it out at the top of my voice.  This scoot might have been planned better but I thought I had the weather scoped as it had been nasty early and had been drying out ever since.  When I left there was no sign of rain clouds and the sun was shining cheerfully.  It wasn't quite that way when I left the A-B Supermarket, tho, as the sky was quite dark over where I live and at that moment I knew:  boy, you're going to get wet.

I knew one way back home but thought I would try another way that I didn't know because it would be more direct and the part I didn't know was a relatively short bit right at the start.  I took that route and it was strange as all the way back I was thinking I was on the wrong road.  I suppose the darkness made it look different.  Something else that might have changed my perspective was that it started pouring almost as soon as I started riding.

No, this trip was not at all well-planned as one of the reasons for doing it was that I wanted to get an extension cord so I can wash my clothes.  It may puzzle you that rain would have an effect on that but the washing machine is outside and Greeks don't seem to use clothes driers, everything gets hung up to dry in the sun.  Why not as Greece is sunny most of them time except, well, on my ride home!  Naturally, as soon as I got back here, the rain stopped and the sun came back out.

It wasn't a complete bust as I discovered multiple varieties of curry paste and I got some BandAids for the inevitable next kitchen disaster plus there was a treasure strike:  the market had Marmite!  For the Yankees out there, Marmite is the British equivalent of Vegemite so it's very unlikely you will eat either one.  Your loss as the stuff is delicious!

The beauty part is that there's a little sticker on the jar of Marmite that reads Feel the Love.  It struck me as odd that anyone would float away on beams of love from eating Marmite so I read further and discovered a little ditty:

Roses are red,
violets are blue,
Marmite you're brown,
and I love you.

Yah, this is from the same country that gave us The Beatles.

No comments: