Sunday, December 16, 2012

Loading Unauthorized Books onto an iPad

After locating an EPUB for a favored title and downloading it, you won't be able to drag/drop it into iTunes for Sync to the iPad as the EPUB won't have the appropriate tattoo, handshake, or ritual dance to indicate it's an authorized book, largely because it isn't.  However, this can be solved by loading the book into a software called calibre from Calibre E-Book Management (versions exist for Apple or Windows).  In geek terminology, the objective is to defeat the DRM protection for the ebook.

After loading the EPUB into calibre, link it to iTunes within calibre and, presto, you will have an authorized copy ready for Sync to the iPad.  While I don't favor reading on electronic media in any kind of way, I favor even less not reading at all.  I like reading before sleep, when I'm lying with my head on the pillow and flipping the pages of a paperback, sometimes falling asleep and the book dropping to the floor.  I enjoy waking up later and figuring out where I was before I faded.  Don't try this with an iPad (laughs).

So, thanks, but scratch the request for books for Christmas and I do appreciate the thought.  I'm told that a pair of long-johns is in-process and that will be exceptionally fine.  I would shoot a video of putting on a pair of jeans over a pair of pajama bottoms but that probably isn't something you need to see in your life, particularly during the holidays.  It is funny to watch, tho.

Harry gave me a rider's rain coat (i.e. a thin plastic poncho-type garment) and that can easily slip on over my jacket and that's perfect.  It's ok if my jeans get wet as I can switch to the others but it's a real bitch drying out the jacket.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: