Sunday, December 9, 2012

No More Weather Reports!


There's not much to write apart from a weather report this morning but the vibe overall is much cooler than that.  The biggest deal is gearing up for high-speed Internet as it's feasible to get DSL if I can get a telephone line in here.  So long as Harry is ok with that then it should be relatively inexpensive.  Given the faster line, I can stream audio and that means I can work.  There are multiple offers for gigs from people for whom I'd love to play and they're pay gigs which is quite possibly a solution for a very big problem.  You wanted to talk about singing for my supper, well, this is it!

There's the inevitable cost/benefit ratio as making anything that actually stays in the bank for a few minutes means making more than it costs for the phone line or this won't work any better than the federal budget (that applies to any country as all work the same).

Here's the work-up:  Call it €50 per month for Internet access which is about $65 U.S.  Multiply that by 200 to convert to Second Life lindens and that comes to $19,500L per month.  Second Life gigs pay from $2000L to $3000L so that means six to ten gigs to break even, assuming no-one throws a dime in tips which would be unusual.  So, call it roughly two gigs per week for overhead and I wouldn't exactly call that breaking a sweat.  Anything beyond that goes to paying the dentist.  Yahoo!

There's another $3000L per month (approximate) for the actual audio stream so there's one more gig.  I've got one now that should last for another month or two so I'm thinking go for it.  That should be enough time to prove it out and if it busts then drop the phone line and walk away.  I don't want to do that (obviously) but that's the resolve if it turns out that it doesn't play.

Don't you wish I had stayed with weather reports (laughs).

Harry brought over some firewood last night and that was the first time I've been really warm here since I moved into the place.  Very, very nice!  Eimai kala poli (I'm very good)!

All I have to do now is figure out how to use the washing machine.  I turned the knobs and pushed the button.  It made noise for a while and then a red light came on.  Then it stopped.  What does that all mean?  How the hell do I know.  It's all Greek to me!

No comments: