Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Recording in the Sun

The song is called "Sun" but that's only because calling it "Celebration of Life for Circe" sounds so pompous.  That's the vibe in my head while I'm laying it down but recording a song, unfortunately, is somewhat like science insofar as the act of observation can change the result of an experiment and recording can change the sound of your music ... but only if you let it.  That's where it goes back to Keith Richards and not thinking about anything while he plays.

What I said above about science is true but I'm not a teacher and you can look that one up for yourself.  See the 'observer effect' in Wiki.  You'll just have to take my word for it on music.

A lot of time last night went into recording but it wasn't a fail not to deliver anything as the problem was that the song kept running out for too long.  I'd be diggin' it so much that I didn't want to stop ... and thirty minutes would fly by.  It's like Eric Clapton said that you accumulate lots of 'bits' in your head and you pull them down to use them when the time is right.  As I play it, I'll hit things that I particularly like and I'll keep them.  Eventually I'll boil it down to ten minutes in which it's only stuff that I particularly like.  If I do it right then it won't sound rehearsed.  If it does, I throw it out and start over (laughs).

The biggest problem is still tactical in finding a couple of thousand euros for the dentist.  I can't sell the Galaxy Guitar or I might as well start swimming out into the ocean now.  Besides, it's worth a thousand euros to start plus it's been customized by hand.  The guitar is priceless.

There are two computers and the iMac is useless for live in the real world so that makes it a candidate.  That kills my back-up but I don't have a back-up for a whole lot of things so there's sense to selling it.  I'll ask Harry when he comes to close the deal on the scooter as he would probably know better than anyone what it would be likely to fetch here.

I also want to talk to Harry about Web pages as I notice he has some not quite optimal pages so it might be helpful if I did a little Web development.  It's time to get a bit enterprising, don't you think!  There's no money in music and never will be but that's ok.  I do it because I love it, not because I want to grow up to be one of The Beatles.  No chance I want to get into full-out professional Web development as they're a bunch of boring machineheads who are turning the Web into an over-hyped blob of Silly Putty but pages that are simple and effective have value.  So you ask yourself if you want to see a Web page that does a whole packet of Stupid Human Tricks or if you want to see a Web page that quickly tells you want to know.  I don't believe I'll have to wait for an answer on that one - Ha!

It's getting about time to kick out de jams.

No comments: