Friday, December 7, 2012

Changes My Life Coming and Going

Circe Broom changed my life changed my life coming into it by staging me for the first time and she has changed it again in leaving, even though she will never really leave my life.  Both of us used our real names when we talked privately but I was always Silas Scarborough out in front and she was always Circe Broom.

I have contacted my landlord to see if it's possible to get an Internet connection that's fast enough for audio streaming so I can play live all the time.  In part it's because it's something I need in my life and also because, what the hell, it's my job!  Playing for Circe the other night brought it all back to me in what a wonderful thing it is to perform and what a marvelous privilege that anyone would want to hear it.

It's always been my guiding principle that you work hard enough and you stay ahead of The Man and I'm certainly willing to do that.  It means playing with headphones and I doubt that using the mike would be enough to penetrate the wall to the other side of the duplex so I should be good for U.S. gigs (i.e. playing in the middle of the night).

Everything ran down over the last year or so for reasons that don't warrant coverage here.  The jams live on and I know I played better for the Circe memorial than I ever played in my life.  The candy-ass stuff I've been doing lately is ok once in a while but it's only part of what I do.  You can hear in the "Celebration of Circe Broom" why I play a Godin as it's strong down low and it rings so nice up high plus I wasn't even playing in a key that lets me get all the way to the top of the neck.  That is definitely what I do.

While I was playing, someone called out "Silas in da house" and that brought it all back as I was very touched that people remember.  That was once the cry when I showed up somewhere and it was so damn sweet to hear it again!

The reason bands succeed in bars is because girls want to nail the lead singer, sometimes the lead guitarist, and always the sax player.  If they don't want that then they don't go and if girls don't go then no-one else does either (laughs).  Harry asked me if I might want to play at his Melrose Rock Bar and he gets some very cool acts but I'm not at all sure what I do is a match for it but I am sure it doesn't pay anything.  There really isn't time for going out seeking acceptance as I'm more than a little panicked over paying for fixing my teeth and surviving in general so it's all about doing what I do where I really do it.  Most of all it's where I love to do it.

Circe Broom really does change my life coming and going.

No comments: