Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Happy Birthday to My Ol' Mother, Anne Fraser

If you're one of the regulars then you saw my ol' Dad's birthday is the day before Christmas and, what do you know, my ol' Mother's birthday is the day after.  What this meant for them is that neither had birthdays through most of their lives.  Of course, your parents don't have birthdays anyway as they're timeless and immortal while you're growing and it's one of life's biggest sadnesses when you realise they're not.

But my purpose isn't to languish in tragedy and instead I'd like to recall what I suspect are the same words any of her children would recall if asked what she would suggest the most:  do as you would be done by.  As we were quite the fractious children or quarrelsome monsters, as you will, she had occasion to use the expression quite a lot.

Yah, do as you would be done by.  It's not Shakespeare but it applies to just about everything, just about everywhere.

Today smoking is square in my face.  She had the good sense to quit smoking long before my ol' Dad and, what do you know, she lived much longer too.  One pack of cigarettes remains and shops are open today to get more but that's only to see if any resolution is sincere or simply a matter of circumstance.

It's clearly time to make every attempt to give them the only gift that ever meant anything to them and that's to stay on the planet as long as possible.  There will be plenty of time to hang out with them after and it would be a good idea to make sure there's as much material for conversation as I can find.  I have no idea if that really even happens but it would be damn foolishness to assume that it doesn't.

Do as you would be done by applies as I would be devastated to hear of one of my siblings falling to cigarettes so it's not at all fair if I do it to them.  Therefore, the time is now and I've been hearing church bells ringing this morning in celebration of this day as it seems Europeans take it quite a bit more seriously than Americans.  It also seems it would be quite a good idea if I did as well.

2 comments:

Laughing Gecko said...

Good luck giving up the cigs. As far as material for conversation, your father would never be lacking. Hey, what happened to the chess annotation? Would be fun to look over the games. Unless recording the game interferes with playing the game?

Unknown said...

Sorry I've been so pitiful on the annotation as it's not like we don't take our time between moves! Since the score is tied, it doesn't look like the Tournament will end any time soon and I'm glad of that. There's nothing like meeting my friend and ripping her heart out ... or her ripping my heart out ... on a chessboard!