Friday, December 14, 2012

Shooting Video with an iPad from a Motor Scooter

Yesterday's experiment didn't work out well enough to broadcast the result but it was encouraging enough that I will definitely try it again.  The problem to solve is that I shoot the video by stuffing the iPad into my jacket and it's held in-place by stuffing the inside with towels, etc but that isn't too stable.  That's a highly-primitive way to do it but I wanted the proof of concept and I got it.  The image quality was quite good, there was very little vibration because the iPad was attached to me, and the audio quality was fairly decent as well.  Since I'm behind a windshield there wasn't a whole lot of of wind noise and it would be possible to talk as it goes along.

It was extremely difficult to keep the iPad in-place as it kept shifting about, my jacket would fly in front of it, etc, etc.  After reviewing it when I got back, I had a brain wave:  the way to solve this is to get a bra!  It would hold the iPad in pretty much the right position and they've been providing stable support along with fascinating challenges for high school boys for generations.

There was some consideration of just how I would explain to a young lady in a woman's store of my intentions when it's likely she wouldn't speak much English and I still don't know that much Greek.  How do I tell her that I need a bra and that, honest, I'm not a female impersonator.  This problem was considered for some while and then a larger problem came under consideration:  what happens if someone sees me do it and follows me home.  Bad, very bad.

Daisy came up with the solution, the all-purpose solution for just about everything:  duct tape.  I don't know where I could find it but I don't know where I could find a bra either so it doesn't change the problem a lot.  It does give a much more appetizing solution even if it's not quite so colorful, tho.

With any luck at all I'll locate some duct tape today and try an experiment this afternoon.  I'm due back at the dentist again in a couple of hours for the third appointment this week.  She's moving much faster than anticipated and this has created a grave financial situation.  I'm giving her the remainder of the nest egg today but she's still due eight hundred euros after that.  Hopefully selling the iMac will take care of a nice chunk of that but doing it is not such an easy trick.  We shall see.

No comments: