Sunday, December 23, 2012

"The Tiger and the Monkey" (poem)

There was a Tiger in the jungle
and a Monkey was his friend
Their friendship was forever
They would keep it 'til the end.
Only the Fire in the Jungle
that finally takes us all
could ever stop the friendship
that held them in its thrall.

The Monkey once grew worried
as Tigers don't eat fruit from trees
and the fear she would be eaten
kept her hiding in the leaves.
The Tiger said he wouldn't hurt her
He just wants to keep her safe
To protect her if she fell to ground
and that was why he stayed.

She said she couldn't trust him
as he couldn't live on fruit
There was nothing near the tree
and he couldn't eat the roots.
How could she ever trust him
as he knew just why she cried
She'd known big cats before him
and some of them had lied.

He said you must believe me
I only eat the things I need
I eat to stanch my hunger
and never out of greed.
Never would I harm you
You're the only friend I've got
I'm sorry you don't trust me
and that's such a bitter lot.

I'll walk quite far below you
You're safe up in the tree
If you fall I will catch you
and then you'll know you're free.
She said I know you're lying
I've seen it all before
You'll tell me you're a good one
until you reach me with your claw.

But then in time it happened,
she did fall from the tree
and that was when he caught her
and she found then she was free.
He had spoken truth in all ways
He would never hurt his little friend
and they walked on through the jungle
in a story with no end.

No comments: