Saturday, December 1, 2012

Circe Broom the StarMaker

Circe Broom was my friend and we had a deep love for each other for many years.  She gave me my first break back in 2006 when she put me on her stage.  We loved each other almost from the start as she was much more than a venue owner to me and the biggest comfort today is that she knew I loved her.

We talked not so long ago before she went into hospice for the last time and both of us knew what was coming; we had known it for a long time.  In that talk we got a chance to say good-bye to each other and even then or maybe especially then she bore it with dignity, grace and love.  I couldn't help crying then just as I have cried today but she didn't want it then and I'm sure she doesn't want it now.

Circe didn't want anyone to know she was sick.  She was tough and she had to be because sometimes she had to say no.  She said frequently that she only staged the best so she had to be tough enough to turn some people down, you're not ready yet.  She recognized quality and she knew it in a great variety of music, from rock to country to jazz and much more.  She loved all music.

She didn't want people getting weepy about her illness and she kept it from most people.  She had been in a wheelchair for years but many didn't know it and she didn't want them to know it.  What even more didn't know is that she was a singer before she got sick and she worked with a band that toured around the east coast of the United States.  When the illness came she gave her time, her wallet, and her heart to staging other performers and getting them started.  She loved music and she gave everything to it.

It was an honor to audition for Circe and to be staged by her was the ultimate.  She gave many of the world's biggest stars their first break on a live stage.  She couldn't pay very much but that didn't matter as what was important was to be playing on Circe's stage.  If you played for Circe then you were qualified to play anywhere and so many did.

I loved playing for Circe and every time I would sing she would tell me not to do it, just don't do it.  This became a standing joke between us as I would work up yet another tune to see if that would pass with her.  They never did but the songs did improve so it became a thing with us and we would laugh about it after each show.  No show was over before hugging her until coming back for the next one.  But don't sing, just don't!

Circe let me use her stage late at night when she didn't stage anyone.  These were during my bad rock star days and the even worse rock star nights.  Circe was no fool.  She knew what was going on as there would be multiple naked women on the stage, all sending messages about wicked things they were going to do to me so they could see if I would crack while I played.  Circe had way too much class to come and watch or participate in this debauchery but you bet she knew it was happening.  She not only had style but she had a great sense of humor.

Today I've been hearing Circe talking as her spirit is strong and her voice is true.  Now she can sing again.

I love you, Rose, and I always will.  My comfort is that you know it.

No comments: