Sunday, December 16, 2012

Music and Chess at the Kastro Bar in Katakolo

The eighth game of the Greek Chess Tournament started out very badly for the home team (i.e. still me) due to not one but two egregious blunders I made.  Things did not improve substantially in the middle game and Mary continued tightening the noose to what seemed an inevitable conclusion.  However, I devised a flanking move that didn't try to blast through her superior firepower and after some positioning I thought I had a mate on the move but she got out of it.  The escape was temporary as the plan was sound and the next move saw the end.

So the Greek Chess Tournament is now tied-up at 4:4 with it quite clear that both of us are deadly to the last move.  There will be no mercy from either one of us, from me because Mary is a girl or from her because I'm not.  That side of it is irrelevant as the deadliness of it is the biggest attraction.  It's not deadly insofar as sportsmanship is concerned as both of us will allow withdrawal of a move if the other requests it.  And so it should be as the best win comes when your opponent is making the best possible moves and so we do.  I did not ask to withdraw the moves that were the egregious blunders as we don't typically ask once the opponent has moved and the blunders were so stupid that I thought I deserved a fair punishment anyway!

Side-note:  I said the Kastro Bar is in Katakolo but it's really a couple of kilometers outside of town.  You can see it on the MAP in the top of the blog.  Maybe I'll see if I can link pictures to the locations but you can easily switch to satellite view to see more than a road map.


This was the first Tournament match that had music and it was live.  A couple of kids were singing and playing acoustic guitars and the hills and the bar were alive with the sound of their music.  I'm sorry I don't have their names but I do have some pictures:





They played a quite pretty set and finished not so long after the Tournament game ended so it was all charming.


In more news from the Kastro Bar, Harry was there with his family and don't be getting critical about taking kids to a bar as this isn't a place where old rummies go to cry in their beer.  The Kastro Bar is a lovely place and it's not at all inappropriate to take children.

Harry and Mary spoke with each other in Greek for yet another reminder to me of how much I have to learn and there was some business stuff in getting certified with the police to make it legal to own the scooter.  The big news is that Harry is fine with getting a landline installed in the house and that will give Internet speed of roughly 10-11 MB via DSL, quite sufficient for audio streaming in Second Life and consequently taking on some pay gigs.  I will be very much singing for my supper and, what's more, I'll be singing for the teeth to chew it!  Hopefully this won't result in a cheesy sell-out in which I start doing a bunch of cover songs but I doubt that will happen.  I don't listen to them so why would I want to play them.  So this is now in motion and should go live in roughly two weeks.  Yahoo!  I mean one major yahoo as this is a chance to make it.  I don't mean make it as a rock and roll star but to live without starving (laughs).

The only reason to give up the fight is because you stopped breathing!  That held true for the eighth game of the Tournament and it sure as hell applies to everything else.  Onward!

No comments: