Saturday, December 15, 2012

ΙΕΡΟΣ ΝΑΟΣ ΑΓΙΩΝ ΘΕΟΔΩΡΩΝ - Saints Church Theodoron - Pyrgos, Greece

Hopelessly lost, I thought I would at least get some pictures out of the expedition so here's a quite pretty church, Saints Church Theodoron.  I know the name because I spotted it from space with Google Maps and you can see the location in the map on this blog.  I was trying to get from the SVM scooter dealer over to Harry's place and I see now that I really wasn't that far off, if not at all the way I had intended to get there.

 





Yes, of course that's an olive tree in the foreground!

Saint Theodore lived sometime during the Fourth Century but relatively little is known of him and it's not even clear if there was only one of him.  You can read the Wiki on Theodore Stratelates but there's confusion over whether he and Theodore of Amasea are the same man.  Both were known as Warrior Saints and both acquired sainthood through martyrdom but how it actually happened seems largely lost to myth.  It's interesting reading nevertheless.

In my travels, I wasn't looking for martyrdom as I would have been quite happy just to find Harry's place but that mission was a total fail.  However, in that search I discovered the church and I wanted to know what it was so I tried to spot in from space in Google Maps.  That led to the discussion on Saint Theodore and you can pursue that as much as you like.  In that regard, getting lost wasn't a fail at all.

I asked Mary of Saint Theodore and she asked if anyone goes to this church so it doesn't appear to be one of the driving forces in the area.  You can see it's quite a nice church and it's in good repair so perhaps it's just a matter that she and I are heathens who regard churches as photographic opportunities and the church is doing just fine thank you very much.

No comments: