Sunday, July 16, 2017

"Play or Die, Motherfucker" #Poetry #Music

Play or die, motherfucker
that's how it came to me
and the result was kind of beautiful
but I'm sorry you can't hear
since I didn't hit Record
the best ones always get away
and this one wasn't scored
so there's only me to say

But Yevette could also hear it
and said it's beautiful, damn good,
and I know you didn't save it
but you really fuckin' should
The Galaxy was waiting
her strings only a little sharp
she really didn't fall away
on some dark, foreboding scarp

She lit up really quickly
sounding bold and sounding proud
but most of all she sings it right
when it's really fuckin' loud
and so it went but just enough
I don't want to see gendarmes
I just want to sing it pretty
I don't need those fire alarms

I'm supposed to see some doctors
and the reasons haven't changed
so the basis for deferral
may seem somewhat deranged
Since I saw Guitar Watkins
who is eighty if she's a day
and she doesn't talk about doctors
but she's happy when she plays

That's when it came to me
you play or you will die
and if you aren't really playing
it doesn't matter why

So

Play or die, motherfucker
that's how it came to me
and the result was kind of beautiful
but I'm sorry you can't hear

- Colonel Arbuthnot Jones

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to the group on Saturday--most of the folks there did not start until they retired and they (the ones I saw works from) are really excellent at their art. If not for that knowledge, I don't think I would attend again (that voice that says you are not good enough). So there's hope for me. There were forces working against me attending--but I went anyway.

Determination is really key. I know you understand with your playing. That woman took her guitar and played it behind her head just like Jimi Hendrix did. The program was Steve Harvey Little Big Shots-Geriatric Edition

Unknown said...

That's an excellent vibe and wonderful to hear of it. That I'm Not Good Enough demon is one nasty bastard too. Getting past that one is always a good trick.

I'm sure good stuff can come from that determination because such things come already and this seems it will inevitably mean more. This is straight out of the rule book with old age is not for wimps and you're standing up to that grandly.