Monday, July 24, 2017

"The Fountain, Villa Torlonia, Frascati, Italy" | John Singer Sargent #Art


I know this woman ... as in the marital sense.  You can see she is a painter but she's not the painter of this piece since she works on one of her own.  There is another painting of her done by a different artist from when she was younger as a girl, possibly in her twenties, in a white dress with flowers as she walked through a meadow.  She was wearing a different bonnet but the lass has fair skin and will always be wearing a bonnet.

Neither of the scenes in the paintings actually happened and yet they were the most insightful portraits of her I ever saw.

Zen Yogi:  sometimes things which are not real are most real of all

You're right, Zen Yogi, and just about everything we want to keep is that way.

Zen Yogi:  are you talking about love or pic-a-nic baskets?

Make your own choice, my furry ursine friend, but I want to see what she's painting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not familiar with the other painting. Do yo recall the name of it or the artist?

Unknown said...

I'm sorry but I only know it was another painter I believe connected with the Cincinnati Art Club