Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Eisenhower in 2016

Just a joke, huh.

Well.  I haven't researched it in detail but my initial feeling is that there is a significant resemblance between the platforms of Dwight Eisenhower and Elizabeth Warren.  This is a delicious irony to me.

I talked a little with a conservative friend who said you all don't like him very much but it's not at all clear why you would not be proud of his performance as I don't see any violation of GOP principle.  He built the national Interstate system but I don't see him doing anything in parallel to undermine the states and their rights.  The benefit to everyone from the system is clear so no foul to the party, yes?

My friend said Barry Goldwater would have been a better pick but I don't see why.  He was good for protecting the GOP from excessive influence by the Church and you all could sure use some of that now but, apart from that, he was a standard-model Republican.

We don't need standard ... we need exceptional.

If you're bad-ass enough to believe it, we deserve exceptional.

Even more bad-ass than that, we deserve someone so exceptional that this person doesn't even have to tell anyone he or she is exceptional.  Everyone knows already.

(Ed:  You're looking for Jesus.  Might want to lower your sights a tad.)

Not really.  Many people have manifested the qualities of Jesus.  Whether you would call them divine is your business but I'd be surprised if there even much argument over an idea that people that good really do walk the Earth.  How about Doctors Without Borders, perhaps.  There are definitely exceptional people and they very rarely identify themselves that way.

No comments: