Monday, December 7, 2015

"10" - Jeffrey Lipsky (painting)


"10" by Jeffrey Lipsky

18 x 24 inch Pastel on Paper

  The original is still available.  Contact Jeffrey Lipsky on Facebook for details.


I'm not the artist so I can say what I see in it and I'm seeing the black Statue of Liberty in the center trying to break out from under the overwhelming dreck of false statistics.  The piece is full of intense conflict between the whites and blacks and the only color comes from a little bit of yellow and red.  It's reaching to ascribe meaning to the colors but we will do it anyway because the conflict has a measure of blood even though much of it is less dramatic than that in the day-after-day beatdown of implicit inferiority.

There are multiple of his works I would have bought if I had the money to do it.  He has power but with clarity and I have felt many times with modern art this piece or that one has something really powerful to say ... but I have no idea what it may be.  With Jeffrey Lipsky's work, I find more clarity and visions come from it.  Likely most artists won't tell you if your vision coincides with theirs because they're curious to know what you see.  So, the above is what I see in this one.

Knowing people cool enough to make stuff like this kind of makes my life feeling like it wasn't a complete waste of oxygen.  In many ways, Jeffrey's work is music and maybe he even achieves the ideal about which I bleat every so often, the annihilation of self.  You can't see him but his song sings clear.

No comments: