Wednesday, December 30, 2015

There Is No Like Button

If we had a Like button for the ganja, it would get flogged into unconsciousness ... but ... there is no Like button for Searching for Ithaka.  Instead we have Buy the Fookin' CD (larfs).

We want to be careful about flogging any promo for the CD ... but we also like the ganja and this is a peach of a time to blow a bowl and consider the Universe.


(Ed:  we get it you need the money but fookin' why?)

"Ride the Dragon" is the newest CD and $79 to release it to iTunes, etc.  That and three others comes to over $300.  That means sell thirty CDs to do it.

The Boss Guitar Synth works by emulation but it's an astounding emulation for about $700.

Replacing the P.A. monitors is $500 to $1000 and they have not been overheating so much lately but they will if I push them hard enough.  Upgrading them goes to 15-inch bottoms and it takes a lot of juice to drive them but these cabs have built-in amplifiers sufficient to the task.  That combination makes a bit of noise but it's acceptable for my purposes (i.e. studio monitors are different).

More lasers are needed and that may sound silly but there are three greens and they're sissy wimps at about 80 mW whereas the single blue is 300 mW.  One of the greens stopped working and not sure if it can be resuscitated.  The purples have just rolled over dead and they were even wimpier than the greens.  Right now there's the primary blue and a dual-beam set of reds with some LEDs for color and some moon units for splash.  Upgrading that adequately is about another $500.

I would love to replace Yevette's computer as it's only the least I can fookin' do when she lets me crash on her sofa, smoke the place out shooting videos, and make one hell of a racket.  She's my friend ... but ... holy shit ... did any friend ever ask that of you (larfs).  That's another couple of grand.


(Ed:  say there, Mister GQ, were you considering clothes?)

Nope.  So long as my ass is covered better than some local teenager, I figure I'm dressed.  You don't care if I wear pajamas all the time and, guess what, neither do I.  There isn't a single pair of pants here, not even Levis.


(Ed:  were you considering anything radical ... food, for example?)

So long as I am in a not hungry state, my interest in food is zero.


(Ed:  what about a car?)

The only thing I know for sure about cars is you have to fix those bitches all the time.  A friend needs to fix a light on his VW and it will cost seven hundred bucks ... for a fookin' light.  Thanks for that blessing, huh!


(Ed:  what about Europe?)

That would be a classical gas but highly expensive.  If I'm goin' then Yevette's goin' too and not because it's a hot romance but because she's my friend and she would dig it.  That's with a dead certain direction of going to play a set for Cat in front of her in Bavaria.  Yevette has been to Germany but I haven't and, besides, many say Bavaria isn't part of Germany anyway (larfs).

As to any hot romance, I'll be talking to Cat about that and (cough) not here (larfs).


(Ed:  would you tour?)

Europe, yes.  U.S., probably not.

(Ed:  America bashing?)

Nah, it would be bloody hard to do it and I want to see new things if I'm going to work that hard.  I love it when people speak different languages and we figure out how to talk to each other.  It's like people ... but people with chocolate ... so much flavor!


(Ed:  is it even possible?)

For great expense, yes.  The only way to do it is with roadies.  There's no possible chance I can do it myself and part of that is being sixty-five but most of it is because this would be difficult for a kid.  I'm the film crew, the sound crew, the performer for three or more instruments, the editor, the promoter, blah de blah.  So ... it's hard.


(Ed:  you been smokin' the ganja?)

What??  You can't tell??  (larfs)


(Ed:  if you can only do one show and then roll over dead, what would it be?)

Cincinnati at the 20th Century Theater.  Not even the faintest question.  The place holds four hundred people and has that cool overhead deck.  The people were outstandingly professional and it was one good, good time.  There were all kinds of excellent things about it plus there was an old-timey theater vibe.  Very cool.

It might seem the dream is a stadium gig but that, to me, is more like a poodle show because you can hardly reach anyone but at the 20th Century everyone is right there.  I do very much like that intimacy in live.  It's not so much they're adoring me but everyone adores each other in a show like that.


(Ed:  what about the Gandalf gig?)

That has been the dream I painted when I was a kid.  I know it was somewhere in the Southwest and the place was huge.  I had the kit and I was looking but did not find it.  I got as far as the Palo Duro Canyon but, for various reasons, had to turn back.  More now I think it was not anywhere to be found that way and really it is in the Sanctuary.  That's the Nirvana gig and "The Sanctuary Song" is exactly the one for it.  The song even makes me feel better just doing it.

Just leave it behind,
you don't need it here

Come feel the love
You have nothing to fear

In fact, I'll play it right now and just to hear it rather than critique it.

Wowzer ... I got wrapped up in listening to it without watching it.  This one just might not be too bad.  Unknown when Yevette gets back so it was belting loud.  Mix seems good, no distortion.  The vocal is getting to the point of who the fuck is that guy.

At the same time the song rings, I also get the vital missive:  do NOT believe your own bullshit, Maestro.


(Ed:  what about playing for Cat?)

Fly Cat in from Bavaria and Michi Renoir from Austria.  While it would be much cooler for me in the vision from going to Bavaria, there are multiple tactical reasons it would be better to do it the other way around and fly Cat to Cincinnati and Michi Renoir is my dream date for an open jam.

The ideal stage dream date is to play with Michi Renoir, the Astronomer on bass, and Gun-Totin' Drum God on skins.  In part I want to play the set with the Astronomer and the Drum God which should have happened last time and did not.  Michi, I'm fairly sure, would go for it but I'm not positive about whether he would be willing to come to U.S.  Unknown if Astronomer and the Drum God are available.  Even if they are not, jams with Michi would be cool anyway.

The main thing on jams with the Astronomer and the Drum God is playing lead guitar.  Lead isn't simply playing a lot of fast notes in sequence but rather it's leading the band.  Jazz is much more egalitarian than, say, blues because the latter will usually have a lead singer / guitarist / harp player and the rest of the band is secondary.  Even with a much more open interchange between jazz musicians, the band still needs a lead.  That, above everything, is the most critical part to any potential jam.

Singing needs the Mystery Lady and not to replace me as my confidence in things I should sing or not is much better.  Whether the Mystery Lady could hack it isn't clear because we're all getting a bit of wear and tear but it would be one pure pleasure to perform with her again.


(Ed:  does the Drum God really tote guns?)

Not in a fookin' gig, Judge Roy Bean!


(Ed:  I thought you were too fookin' sick for things like this)

I was but I'm not sure what did it.  I was thinking something else in me broke but it's happened two or three times so it seems it must be some kind of illness although I have no idea how / why I keep catching it.  Same thing happens each time and it's an unholy bitch of a week but then it mostly goes away.  Yevette doesn't catch it so maybe it's from Wal-Mart since mostly I'm the Market Boy and I like that but maybe I catch stuff that way.  Unknown.



(Ed:  you're too old for this dream shit, you old fart!)

I ain't too old until the last breath goes out of me.  Ha!


Oh, right.  There was a point to this, wasn't there.  I figure it's about ten to fifteen grand to stage a show at the 20th Century and flying Cat in for it so that's a thousand to fifteen hundred CDs.  So, yah, buy those CDs!

No comments: