Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Best Shot is Today for Catching the Waving Monk

Yesterday, stalking the waving monk didn't work out.  It was close but didn't quite make it.  For some while, I only had twenty-eight cents in the bank but today I can get the power strip I need to make it work.

It wasn't lack of money tanking it last night when I tried because I really believed I had a power strip I could use.  Even if I had any jingle at the time, it would not have been possible to go off to buy a power strip and get back in time to shoot the scene with the right light, right windspeed, etc.

For this evening, the temperature should be relatively-warm with eight mph wind but that's about as low as it ever gets.  So, today, there is no excuse for failure.  The scene may not work as I envision it but there's no excuse for failing to film it.


Part of the, erm, windiness in describing this is to give some idea of why it takes so long to put this kind of a video together.  Making all kinds of effects in Final Cut will generate bizarre visuals but that sort of thing is like the trippin' movies from the sixties ... which were nothing like trippin' at all.  Maybe you think the story in this is dumb and fair enough if you think so but at least it will have one.

Another part of the slowness is in the time it takes before the vision comes clear to me.  It's all very well if I think of something and, hmm, that would be cool.  For me, getting to why it is cool may take a bit longer ... like almost a year now.


The video originally started with no more vision than getting some footage of Fort Worth which isn't the usual rodeo stuff from the Stockyards.  That led to, well, I wonder if I can make people, cars, whatnot disappear.  That led to why are they disappearing and that's where it stalled.  If I don't have a 'why' then it's just a video trick but the waving monk and the rest of it will pull that together.

So ... Action!  Roll Cameras!


Something you may not notice is making videos, after you have the kit to do it, costs almost nothing. It's much like skiing in that way ... except I never have to buy a lift pass.  Everything involved in video uses rechargeable batteries so there really is almost zero cost to shooting one.


Another less ambitious video project is to go to the Fort Worth Zoo.  There's a bit of Indian Summer happening just now and Friday might be a good day for it.  I like to speak in my fumbling German so it's like I take Cat on a date but her English is much better than she believes.  Likely Yevette would like to go as well because she's completely stir crazy and Winter has hardly even started yet.  I want sunshine, she cries ... well ... actually, she didn't ... but she could.  Same here but my relationship with the Sun has changed a little bit after (cough) seeing a surgeon.

Note:  the surgeon doesn't change anything since getting blasted by the Sun in Australia doesn't mean too much when it was fifty years ago.

No comments: