Monday, September 29, 2014

On Hope in Music

There's the thinking that songs should give hope, warm feelings, and all the things you generally expect.

Hopefully without getting hopelessly philosophical about it, my own thinking is that music is an accurate reflection of the world which is very important when an accurate reflection is difficult or impossible anywhere else.

But

You want people coming away from a gig feeling good and not just so they may come back to another one but it feels good to do that.  You bring your guitar and they bring their spirit energy and it all swirls up into something that leaves a smile on the faces of everyone.  It's not so much that you do that but you're the vehicle for it.

Unless

You sing about "Jeanny" and scare the bejeebers out of people.  It doesn't make you smile as this vicious bastard has killed an innocent girl and now he tells her he loves her.  wtf.  But a song like that will own your soul.

I really don't talk about 'high art' in terms of B&W Japanese photography of people in unbelievably contorted poses.  That's cool in what it says but it doesn't hold me for very long.

I want passion, power, and all the lights flashing.

Everybody knows the ship is sinking
Everybody knows the captain lied.

Fark.

That's from "Everybody Knows" by Leonard Cohen and that's another song that will own you.


The balance is to go for it directly and sing familiar, happy stuff but, in my view, it's more hopeful in a different way to sing of some desperate thing.

Because.

The only reason for singing about the desperate thing is the expectation it will change as the effort is pointless otherwise.  This is fucked-up, it will stay fucked-up and, well, fuck it.  There's no song in that, it's just stupid.  I truly do see immense hope in "Jeanny" as recognition and understanding of such things is the first step to finding solutions.


This is all because "The Paradise Song" swirls about.  I don't know what it sounds like and I like taking my time with deciding that.  I won't know really what it sounds like until I start playing it.  There's beautiful and hypnotic as with "Rainbow Bridge" but do I want to view Paradise in what is essentially a one-dimensional way.

All the while, October 9 hangs over my head as it's inevitable what comes.  They will drop another bomb on my head, tell me they can't anything about it, and my head will spin around in circles for a good long while after ... but nothing will really change.  That my situation is screwed I can sort of handle as it means write as much as you can, play as much as you can, do whatever it was you think you started breathing to do.

No comments: