Sunday, September 21, 2014

"Abandoning Paradise" has Landed at Schiphol

The stories in The Netherlands begin with "Landing in Amsterdam" and the "Abandoning Paradise" Contents page has changed substantially as it goes all the way through to landing in Fort Worth.

I'm generally satisfied with the telling of the time in Scotland and with The Netherlands.  I may yet add more for fullness but not just for the sake of adding pictures.  The presentation of The Netherlands is fiction but the story is not as it's a wrapper around real events.  I needed some time travel to make that part work but, what the hell, you don't mind a little time travel, yes?


There is one gaping hole as it's obvious the point becomes Paradise is where you find it so why did I not find it in Scotland, presumably the place with all the magnetic genetics, the blood spirits, and every possible thing pointed toward it.  Blaming it on flying monkeys is pointless as they don't have the power or they wouldn't be flying monkeys in the first place.  It's not a blaming thing but rather a review.  The trouble with that is it gets hugely-introspective and as boring as comparing recipes for preparing clams.

For the moment I'm satisfied to leave it as it stands.  I hit the rocks in Scotland.  No-one's going to find Paradise splattered on the rocks.  But I did find some cool stuff.  Overall, the balance is generally satisfying and the gaping hole of the absence of any discovery is maybe best left just as it is.

Maybe it's stretching to include the jam with the Pagans and Aurora in the same quest but it feels comfortable with me the way it flows.

Still it comes down to "The Paradise Song" but I'm not going to gloss over getting sick.  I can't or none of this makes sense.  If not for that aspect, I should never have left Greece.  As we've seen it was necessary but that isn't in the book and it needs to be.  At what level it needs to be there is the balance of it.

No comments: