Monday, June 19, 2017

Telicherry Peppercorns Because Po' Still Needs Pepper

Tellicherry Black Whole Peppercorns, Divakar's No. 004, Restaurant Variety - 8oz tube

$16.50 plus shipping from The Reluctant Trading Experiment

Note:  a 2oz tube is available but that seemed silly to me relative to the cost of shipping it.


There's a great spiel from the Reluctant Traders regarding why this is the best choice for peppercorns.  This is the first time buying peppercorns in such a way but the Rockhouse is particular about peppercorns.  Something surprising is Texans are not so partial to black pepper so eight ounces will last a long time.

These are the peppercorns that I sell to some of the top restaurants in the country. My friend in India, Divakar, regularly travels the pepper farms and cherry picks the largest, most fragrant Tellicherry peppercorns. He ships them direct in small lots so they stay incredibly fresh. No middlemen. 

Our whole black Tellicherry peppercorns have a beautiful citrus aroma. Technically, they're 4.75 mm, Special Extra Bold. Not so technically, they have blow away taste.

- RTE

Ed:  now you have to buy a sixty-dollar grinder

Incorrectimundo, Big Spender, since why should I buy some ridiculous designer grinder when it's functionally identical to the one I intend for ten or less.

Update:  I found a grinder on Amazon with adjustable coarseness in the grind for $16.99.  Reviews were excellent and it's on the way.  There will be a report in about a week on Does Tellicherry Really Deliver.  We shall see although I'm highly-optimistic it will.


Here's the rest of the story.



A few months ago, I received an email from my friend Divakar in Kerala, India.

“Mr. Scott, I’ve made a very exciting discovery. I’ve located some of the best pepper in the world and it is just a few hundred kilometers up the road from me in the Wayanad Hills.”

To be clear, I hadn’t requested information on spices. As a former business associate, Divakar and I had developed a long distance friendship. But never had we discussed anything along the lines of organic spices. 

“The variety of pepper is called Tellicherry, but not just conventional Tellicherry Pepper, which is already known as the best in the world.”

Interesting, I thought to myself, because I wouldn’t know a Tellicherry peppercorn from a telephone pole.

“I discovered a select Tellicherry Pepper, hand-picked from the largest, plumpest, most aromatic berries in the world. I’d really like to see what you think of this.”

- RTE

So it began

No comments: