Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Oscar Acceptance Speech 1977 - Vanessa Redgrave @YevetteN

My dear colleagues, I thank you very, very much for this tribute to my work. I think that Jane Fonda and I have done the best work of our lives and I think this was in part due to our director, Fred Zinnemann.  And I also think it's in part because we believed and we believe in what we were expressing.  Two, out of millions, who gave their lives and were prepared to sacrifice everything in the fight against fascist and racist Nazi Germany.  And I salute you and I pay tribute to you and I think you should be very proud that in the last few weeks you've stood firm and you have refused to be intimidated by the threats of a small bunch of Zionist hoodlums whose behavior is an insult to the stature of Jews all over the world and to their great and heroic record of struggle against fascism and oppression.  And I salute that record, and I salute all of you for having stood firm and dealt a final blow against that period when Nixon and McCarthy launched a worldwide witch hunt against those who tried to express in their lives and their work the truth that they believed in.  I salute you, and I thank you, and I pledge to you that I will continue to fight against anti-Semitism and fascism. Thank you.

- Vanessa Redgrave (who was vilified for this speech)


She is one of the most special ladies of our time and that speech was forty years ago.  It was true then and even more so now.  She was so far ahead of all of this.

The Rockhouse holds the same position and Vanessa Redgrave is part of the reason that position was formed.  The Rockhouse strongly believes anti-Semitism is a foul purpose but we also believe that's not germane to the hooliganism of Zionist hoodlums in the Middle East in their monstrous imperialism.

No comments: