Tuesday, March 28, 2017

You May Love Bugs But You Don't Love Them This Much - Science

The existential is wafting weird as it will in the current Rockhouse circumstance but there are clear vibes of goodness since I found some bug hunters who collected over a million bugs and, get this, they keep them all in their house.

Moriarty:  yuck

Noooo, jam with those old farts, Moriarty, since they're in their nineties and they have been doing this all their lives.  The couple collected all these bugs from all over the world.

Moriarty:  what's the problem?  Couldn't they afford a TV?

Enough with all these negative waves, Moriarty.

I'm not asking if you want to do it as I think it's cool that they did.  They so hellaciously loved bugs and I guess it's reasonable to assume they so hellaciously loved each other that they have been doing this since they were graduate students together and now they're in their nineties.  That must mean almost seventy years of bug hunting and who ever loved bugs more than that.

Moriarty:  I would still rather have a big-screen TV

Well, aren't you Shirley Temple's dream come true, Moriarty.  What would you say after I tell you this bug collection is now worth over ten million dollars and they're going to give it away.  (Newser:  Couple Donates Massive Bug Collection Worth $10M)

Moriarty:  me, me, me!

Right, Moriarty.  Now you're an entomologist.  Got it.


The O'Briens know bug love:

Lois O'Brien tells the Guardian she and husband Charles have had "sort of an Indiana Jones life."  But instead of ancient artifacts, the O'Briens spent 60 years collecting insects across 70 countries and seven continents.  Those bugs—approximately 1.25 million of them—now fill more than 1,200 glass drawers in the O'Briens' home.

- Newser


Man, I love these people, I really do.

The collection, which includes more than 1 million types of weevil, will help ASU fill in the weevil family tree.  One ASU entomologist says the O'Briens' collection contains maybe 1,000 insects that are "new to science."  Lois, 89, and Charles, 83, met at the University of Arizona in the 1950s when he was an entomology teaching assistant and she was a student.  "We were brought together by insects," Charles tells the Guardian.  Lois says their shared passion helped keep them together, and they've had a "great life."  "We've traveled and experienced all kinds of exciting things," she tells the Republic.

- Newser

So, darling light of my life, how would you like to spend your life collecting weevils with me ... and she did.

Ed:  the family that stays together collects weevils together?

Well, I think I have provided sufficient proof.

No comments: