Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Le Tour de Silas Crosses Le Tour de France

The map has been updated and you'll see I'm in Saint Pourcain-sur-Sioule where Le Tour de France will run on Sunday.  Right now there's quite a great storm that's soaking Haximoto unmercifully but I got lucky again and was in a room before it came.  I can only keep the room for two nights so this doesn't solve how to hang out until Sunday but your roving reporter is on the job and I will be looking for a way to do it.  The WiFi in my room hardly works at all but it's quite nimble downstairs in the restaurant so I will stay here tonight and anything beyond that is boring mechanics of the tour information.  The main situation is that I'm on the path of Le Tour and looking for a way to bring it to you.  (Wiki:  Saint Pourcain-sur-Sioule - French)

Before it started raining I left Haximoto sitting and went wandering around the town a bit.  Of course I had to get pictures!  The first one is just because I thought it was funny:


If you have guessed the couple closest to me are both tapping away on cellphones then you have got it right.  There are many things I would like to do at a sidewalk cafe in a village in France but this would be just about dead last!  Kill your cellphone!



I'm not so sure if you can read it but the sign gives information about the village and the current display is about the Tour de France.  I guess it must come through here each year as there are bicycles all over the place.  People aren't riding them, they're in the most unusual places!  If you look very closely, you will see kids sitting on the steps of the gazebo and, yep, they're playing with cellphones too.



This is the same gazebo from the previous shot and yellow bicycles or bicycle parts go all around it.




This isn't anything in particular, I just liked it.  I had seen a church and was walking up the hill to photograph it.



I like photographing churches as they're almost invariably beautiful and they seem to show the character of wherever you are.  Contrast that with non-denominational megachurches if you like but I'll skip the editorial on them.


It appeared the rest of the church was built in 1858 but the tower looks much older.  Those stones look like they have much more than one hundred and fifty years of wear on them.  The spire above the bell tower looks much newer so this church is a bit of a mystery.

More to come!

6 comments:

jsmn said...

Actually the 14th stage of Le Tour de France starts at Saint Pourcain-sur-Sioule on saturday (and it doesn't finish there on friday).

Maybe you should google on "le quatorze juillet" too, as that's next sunday.

Btw, if you wanna ask for the N79 again, try N soixante dix neuf.

Unknown said...

Thanks. This is most helpful. There was some confusion as the lady at the desk doesn't speak a word of English and we were talking to each other with Google Translate on her computer. It must have been very funny to watch / hear.

jsmn said...

It's not so hard to find Alan. Just google on Tour de France and you'll get de info, even in English. http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2013/us/

Anonymous said...

Try using Le Tour and google maps to find your best intersections.

Anonymous said...

Saint-Amand-Montrond is the end leg Friday about 100km from your on the way to Lemans

Unknown said...

I'm looking at the Tours - Saint Amand-Montrond leg now. Thanks!