Wednesday, July 10, 2013

La Pastorale

The day started out in asking for N Soixante de Neuf and that went nowhere.  I asked about Saint Pourcain-sur-Sioule and she didn't know where it was.  OK, solo flying it is!

Fortunately dumb luck sometimes favors idiots and I found N79 fairly quickly and in stopping for fuel there was another stroke of luck as it looked like just another gas station but it turned out to be quite nice.


Lots of places think it's so precious to call something a boutique but it only means it's a shop.  'Magasin' is another word for a store and it would serve just the same.


This is quite an unassuming place but it had two very sweet ladies working inside and I found a nice breakfast of hard-boiled eggs, lettuce and tomato with a drink for €3,30.  The texture of French bread is much like Greek in which there is a hard crust but with a wonderful texture to the bread inside.  Wrapping up the bits from the salad in that made for a quite delicious treat.


At first they said, non, non about taking their picture but a fellow who I took to be a manager spoke good English and told them what I was doing.  The lady on the left is still a bit mystified about why I would want to take her picture but she was really charming and she is the one who was helping me.  It was a very pleasant time and I dawdled here for some while before pushing off to the west.

I apologise again as I did not get their names but this won't be the last time I 'introduce' you to people I encounter and I will work on my technique!


This is a highly pastoral part of France and I find it very beautiful.


Perhaps you think this isn't so different from the U.S.and in some ways it isn't but look at the house with the spires in the background.

Later I came to Charolles which was also quite beautiful.  (Wiki:  Charolles)


The streets are much like those of Greece and presumably date from a very old time long before automobiles.  The Tabac store to the left is the only place one can buy cigarettes.  Don't look for them in gas stations as you will not find them.


Apparently this was a market day as there were all sorts of portable shops set up around the church.  It wasn't tourist stuff like I Heart Charolles but rather regular clothes and the like.


The church, as you would expect, is the most dominating feature of the village and it's quite magnificent.  The village is not large but the church is extraordinary.


Here's another view of the church as I thought it was delightful the way the street market was set up all around it.

Across the street was the Cafe de Siecle, of course with outdoor seating.


I hung out here for a little bit and everyone was speaking French.  Hardly any of them seemed to be tourists.


Running in front of the cafe was a small canal.


Charolles is a charming place and it doesn't seem to be on any particular tourist path, they just like it this way.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the new attitude of the Tour. who what and where. very little how.
The how has its place not the mundane of how.

Unknown said...

Thank you and I'm having fun with it too. It got very mechanical after the crash but enough of that and we definitely don't need a daily medical report. Thanks for reading!

Anonymous said...

Le Tour land in Saint-Armand-Montrond Fri. About 100 km towards Le Mans

Unknown said...

Landing sounds much cooler than taking off. Hmmm! If I start early enough that day, I should be able to knock out the 100 km before they get there. All I would need is a place to park and then I roll out afterward. This sounds like it could work.

Anonymous said...

Soixante de neuf means 'sixty of nine' which might have been why they were confused. 79 is soixante dix-neuf which is literally 'sixty nineteen'. Not really that important though as you found it.