Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Visiting the Salisbury Cathedral

There was no plan to stop in Salisbury but I could see the spire of the Salisbury Cathedral in the distance and I just had to go over to take a look.  I'm very glad I did as it was magnificent.  I like to take pictures of churches but this was more than anything I had ever seen before.  To this day it has the tallest spire of anywhere in the United Kingdom and work started on it in 1220.  Amazingly, most of it was completed by 1258.  (Wiki:  Salisbury Cathedral)


That they were capable of building such an incredible structure not so far off a thousand years ago is stunning to me.  Here's a better look at the spire.



The intricacy of the stonework was a marvel as the sculptures were all over it.  You can write your own editorial on modern religion but what I see is work by people who really believed.  What you believe is your own business this is work by people who believed beyond any question.



There are various modern art sculptures around the grounds of the Salisbury Cathedral and I couldn't resist the picture when this little baby walked over to one of them.



I'll also leave the editorial to you on comparing modern sculpture to that of the past.  What I can do is show you both.



Look closely at the following and see the suffering of the ones for whom only heads are showing.  They must be very old as they're quite worn but look closely and you will see what I mean.


This was really quite an extraordinary experience, much more than simply photographing a church as there were people picnicking about the grounds and there was an ambience that lifted this far beyond a photographic expedition.  I'm very glad I wasn't in such a hurry that I drove past it!

No comments: