Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Royal Baby Report from Scotland

As I walked into the motel tonight, the receptionist said something about what seems to be almost continuous coverage on the BBC regarding the new Prince and future King.  I said I thought it was charming and we talked a bit about it.  She said she had seen things people had been saying about the Royal Family and I said it's a baby, the politics will keep for another time.

She had that dreamy look women get before they have a baby of their own or perhaps she was remembering as it couldn't have been too long ago if she has one of her own already.  She was obviously very taken with it all and I said again that it was charming and it's another chance at Camelot.

Here there are royalists who support the monarchy and believe it's good for the United Kingdom.  In opposition there are the republicans who believe the monarchy is comprised of a bunch of greedy parasites.  How these divisions align with politics is not yet clear to me.  For example, I don't know if you could have a Labor party royalist or a Conservative party republican ... or perhaps it makes no difference at all and is altogether separate.

Disregarding the political aspect, I really am charmed by this and I really do see the baby as representing another chance at Camelot.  The parents make a lovely couple and of course we have seen this before but that doesn't preordain anything for these kids.

People seem to need to preface any comment by saying I'm not really a royalist ... but I'm really enjoying this moment.  I don't see the need for the preface as it is a beautiful moment and I'm happy to be here to see it.  Actually, I probably am a royalist as I will never forget the Queen's Christmas messages each year when I was a kid.  I won't ever forget the feeling when the Queen Mother came to visit Sydney.  All of us marched down from school to watch her being driven to whatever had brought her there and the streets were lined on both sides with people wanting to see her.

So I answer my own question as it's quite possible to be a Labor party royalist.  My ol' Dad would tell you this family has been Labor for generations.  I'll also say again that it doesn't matter.  A baby is born, the Prince of Cambridge and the future King!

No comments: