Friday, July 5, 2013

Bussana Vecchia - Art and Anarchy

When I got to the top of the mountain where the church was built, I looked upon it and tears came to my eyes.  I found it tremendously moving as Bussana Vecchia was first built somewhere in the 9th Century and this, presumably, is when the church was built but most of the buildings were constructed in the 15th Century.  (Wiki:  Bussana Vecchia)

The tears came as you can still feel the presence of the people and even though it is slowly falling down, it's over a thousand years later and still it stands.   It's more than the power of the masonry.


This part of the community is locked, probably to prevent two kind of injury.  The first being any possible injury to people from things falling and possibly the second is someone getting artistic with it as this really wouldn't be appropriate.


The spire, perhaps one of two, stands even to this day!


More detail of the church


Here are the only creatures allowed inside the Bussana Vecchia church!


The church isn't, by any means, the entirety of Bussana Vecchia as the church and the surrounding community suffered tremendous damage in the late 19th Century and it was declared too damaged for any further use.  It wasn't until about a hundred years ago that anyone even tried to live there and it was in the sixties that some hippies decided to give it a serious go.  They are still giving it a go as the community of artists grew up from that moment and, despite periodic attempts to run them out, is still going strong.

This is the first you see as you enter the community:



Just a little bit beyond is the Piazetta Golosa and this is the 'living room' of the community.


I enjoyed some wonderful time here and I met Simon who had originally lived in The Netherlands but was now a permanent resident.  I asked him about his art but he said he was there to enjoy living.  He's an old hippie and he's very admiring of the anarchy of Bussana Vecchia.  We talked for some while and he was telling me about the community and how it worked.  I was damn tempted to stay and if they had WiFi, it's a definite possibility that I would have done it.

It's not entirely an anarchy as there is one, I don't know his name, who seems generally to manage it but one thing I definitely know is that he runs a jazz club there.  While what I do really isn't jazz, it would be so cool to play there if only I could stream it out to you all.  Recording it to send it to you later isn't enough.

Perhaps the answer now is to go back there.  I must think further as the latter part of the day has unsettled things just a wee bit.  I'm damaged but I'm thinking straight and we will see what is the best move.

And some more pictures (I did not photograph anyone's art as I don't believe that would have been appropriate):





Life amid the decay intrigued me.  In fact life flourishes here.

This one is dedicated to Cat as I never would have known about it if she had not told me.

No comments: