Monday, July 15, 2013

Le Havre in the Morning

There is quite a bit of life on the street outside the hotel in the evening but the street is only just waking up now.




While I've heard it said many times that the French are arrogant and in some cases in my experience it has been true but really no more so than other places I have been.  The way I look at it is the other way around, that Italians and particularly Greeks are decidedly un-arrogant.  Here is a lovely man I met in a sandwicherie this morning and he didn't care at all if I spoke French.






How about this for a slick way to get to work.  America has some pretty slick sci-fi subways too, it just needs more of them.  The buses are the coolest, tho.  They're very tall with huge windows and there are stretch buses all over the place.  Greece is the hands-down best at being green but everywhere I've seen here takes it very seriously.  (There is only one nuclear reactor in Greece and it's for research rather than power generation.)




Despite the tariff on the hotel, this seems to be a fairly seedy part of town.  I had also heard it said that France is quite dirty but this is the first time I have seen any evidence of it.  Everywhere else I've seen has been immaculate, so much so that I wouldn't even throw a cigarette butt on the ground.




As with anywhere else, seagulls are flying rats and they really work this street.  I saw them multiple times flying directly over the sidewalk as they worked their way down the street looking for breakfast.  They're vicious bastards too as one landed after another had already staked a claim and the new arrival chewed hell out of the other one to chase it away.  Those are big beaks, you don't want to be bitten by a seagull!

No comments: