Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Finding Italia w/Pics

Now that I'm well away from the east coast, the tourist development is behind me and I'm seeing the real Italy.

Here are some pictures from Castel San Giovanni


This is the municipal building and right opposite from it is a school


These are not the oldest buildings in the city as those date back to the 13th Century but these ones are obviously quite old.

Here's a view down street to the east


And here's the view from turning around to the west


People were hanging out at each of the cafes and they weren't tourists as they obviously lived there.  This was very much how it was in Greece and it was entertaining trying to talk to some guys at one of them when they asked where I was going.  Greece is Grecia in Italian and we got it together that I started there and I'm headed for England but there wasn't much to do with what I will do after that as I have no idea I will do after that!  They didn't speak English and I don't speak Italian but smiles and hand gestures can say quite a lot.


Just outside of town I shot some pictures of the countryside.  The terrain that had concerned me appears to be not more than rolling hills.  It was my intention to drive around anything higher than that and it appears to have worked.


On the Road with a Mouse and a Chicken!  (You would have to hear my live set to have any idea what that means)


This is looking south and there are definitely higher elevations down that way but I've driven around that and I'm pleased that it has worked.


Right now I am in Tortona and I'm not so far from Genoa on the west coast of Italy.  Cat tells me I should be able to find inexpensive camping there and that will be very welcome as I haven't even seen a campground since Monday morning.

Once in Genoa, I'm not so far from Sanremo which is home to Busanna Vecchia, the artist colony.  That is not to be missed and I'm thinking that it will likely be Friday that I get there.

The Map has been updated with each location and I will continue doing that all the way along this maniac journey.  I hope you're enjoying the ride as, despite the difficulties, I am.  It's a hard ride but things don't necessarily have to be easy to be good.

No comments: