Tuesday, July 16, 2013

And Then I Went to Stonehenge - Updated

As I approached Stonehenge my eyes got more and more misty until I had big roley poley drops in them.  It really didn't embarrass me but I did wipe them away even as I was wondering why does it not affect anyone else like this.  But how do I know other people did not do that as well and they were as smooth about wiping them away as I was!  I can't believe every single person - and there were a lot of them - was there to take a Here I Am At Stonehenge picture.





For some reason, the crows, always smart and wise birds, add to the mystery of it all in sitting atop the stones.  Scientists think they were erected about 3,000 B.C. or about five thousand years ago.  Just as Greece was the mother, the Druids were the ancient parents of England.  That people come from all over the world to commune with them, and I mean they come in droves, tells how much the Druids contributed even if no-one is so good at putting it into explicit words.  These stones draw us but it's much more than the stones.  (Wiki:  Stonehenge)












There is no comment between the pictures for the same reason I did not get the audio device (free) that gave everyone an audio tour while we walked the quite large circle around the stones as I wanted to experience this in silence.  That you can't see anyone else is because I was taking my time to find shots in which there were would be no-one or at least very few people in them.  In fact, there were hundreds and hundreds of people, busloads of them, there to pay their respects.


And one more to close.




And on a whole different theme!

Before you start thinking the English are classier than you, let's take a look at the Stonehenge gift shop. Is your refrigerator just dying for a Stonehenge refrigerator magnet.  Well, the gift shop is where you can buy one.  My personal favorite was one of the t-shirts that read Stonehenge Rocks.  Gad!

Um, no, I didn't buy anything (laughs).

No comments: