Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Some Departing Pictures from Greece

Here is what an SVM scooter looks like when it is ridiculously overloaded.



And another:



Shot of Patras, Greece, from Deck 12 of the ferry:


Yes, those big-rig trucks are tiny relative to the ferry and it can carry loads of them.  Who knows how many tons they can load onto this thing and yet it still maintained a quite surprising speed as it crossed over to Italy.


Good-bye Greece


Pulling away from Paradise.  It may well be that Greeks have a better understanding of life and human values than anyone else.  I can't know if that's final as the search continues but I do know they are the happiest people I have ever met, despite the situation of their economy.


Arriving in Ancona, Italy


It's quite extraordinary to me how it is instantly an obviously different place.  From what I've seen so far there has been a much greater drive for modernisation but Greeks did not do that and that was a great part of its charm.  One thing is for sure that you will never know Greece at all if you just visit for six or eight hours off a cruise ship.  I don't suppose you would ever get to know anywhere that way.

No comments: