Friday, July 19, 2013

lefty and Silas Playing for Cat's Birthday Party - Updated

On-stage together for the first time, lefty Unplugged and Silas Scarborough at Cat's Art MusikCircus!


Thanks to Yevette Nishi for the picture


There was no rehearsal, no anything prior to the performance as I'm still not quite used to being on GMT now rather than a couple of hours offset with Greek time.

(Ed:  you were late for her birthday?)

Yes, I confess most ashamedly that indeed I was.  However, Cat is ever the professional in running shows at the circus and she kept the music happening until we could get started.


Update:

Special thanks to Lenny McCloud (lennymccloud Resident) as Lara couldn't do a two-hour show so he stepped in to fill the time until we showed up.  I couldn't hear too much as we were plugging wires and doing that kind of thing but I did hear some beautiful piano work.  Cat tells me he is a German pianist and he will be playing at the MusikCircus again soon.

Continuing:


Neither of us had a plan for the show but I was quite sure I didn't want it to be The Silas Show ... with lefty.  It would be much better as a joint performance.

At first lefty had to leave the studio and I suspect he was being mannerly in giving me some time to get my bearings as I haven't played in weeks.  After a few tunes he came back and I had some simple chords on the looper so we rolled with that for a while.  I had made it a rule for myself after Amsterdam to never ever jam with anyone with a looper but here I was using one but it worked for getting things going with each other.  The 'song' went long but we were switching back and forth playing lead lines with it and this gave a chance to get started with each other.

lefty and I had talked earlier about how the freedom to play whatever you like is more clear at Cat's circus than anywhere else either of us have played in Second Life and both of us have done a whole lot of gigs.  Cat minimises what she does but it's an important thing as there is very much an expectation at various venues to play this or that, wear this or that, etc and that does nothing at all for the freedom to make music.  Cat rejects that sort of thing altogether and she has made the MusikCircus a wonderful place to play.

And so we played for Cat's birthday and hopefully made it a good one for her.  Both of us love her and she doesn't really get why but the fact remains ... we do!

I don't think there is a recording of the show but perhaps it is better that way as this entire adventure has been an exercise in existentialism so a recording really doesn't matter much.  Edinburgh is three hundred and fifty kilometers from here and I wouldn't make that trip again with my guitar on the scooter but it would be an easy jump on a bus to do this again.  What I've learned most of all from this expedition is that predicting the future is pointless but it will take care of itself in any case.  Live it now!

Perhaps we will do it again before pushing on for Edinburgh.  It was wonderful to play with lefty and hopefully people could tell from the performance how much I enjoyed it.  Thank you everyone who came!

I'm staying over here at Mr and Mrs lefty's place and we will go off exploring later today.  There are some mines nearby that are now abandoned but were in use since the Bronze Age and lefty used to play there as a kid.  Most definitely there will be pictures.

And one more time ... HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAT!

No comments: