Friday, July 5, 2013

Down But Not Out in San Rafael

No point in dancing around as this isn't a situation for creating suspense for an amusing story.  Haximoto hit the ground again only this time I was riding her at the time.  There are abrasions but no deep cuts and the most painful thing is that I couldn't get my ankle out from under her and it's a bit twisted.  I can walk but with some difficulty.

Please don't jump on the thinking that this is because the expedition is suicidal.  Here's what really happened.  I started out this morning probably about 6:00 or 6:30.  The accident happened about 19:00 and I had been riding for most of that time.  (I will write a separate article about the visit this morning to Busanna Vecchia)

Everything went all to hell as soon as I got into France as the directions are even harder to follow than in Italy and it was one enormous traffic jam almost constantly ... except for when I wound up on the Autostrada inadvertently.  The result was that I drove around in circles one hell of a lot and was enormously frustrated with it all.  After over twelve hours of searching for someplace to stay even if it were only someplace by the side of the road, I will yield that my reactions and thinking were probably not the best.  However it wasn't the road that was a problem as I'm pretty sure I was up about five hundred meters on some parts of it but rather the ridiculous frustration in trying to find somewhere to stay or, for that matter, trying to find just about anything.

So, I clipped something and even now I don't know what it was.  The back box was torn off and could not be re-fastened.  The consequence of that is I have very few remaining clothes.  I don't believe the guitar was injured and, yes, I have inspected her.  I have no idea what became of the tent and the sleeping bag came free to disappear later.

After I got the remaining stuff attached to the scooter I rode around for at least another hour trying to find anywhere with Internet that wouldn't cost too much and ended driving around in circles again.  I decided the same thing would end up happening so I went to the Kyriad Hotel and asked about rates.  The girl said €97 and I told her this was too much. Did she know of somewhere else. She didn't and I went outside to drive off.

 It pretty much came down on me at that point: dude, you're screwed and you don't have a choice. So I went back in and told her I would take the room. Then this tramp gave me the change of three euros in dimes and twenty-cent pieces! I didn't give her the satisfaction of a reaction but I was thinking the only way she will ever have any class is when she paints it on herself only no-one will be fooled.

So that's where things stand.  There is no way I can go back and going forward will continue to be expensive.  I assume I can get a flight out of Nice to Edinburgh and, yes, I have considered abandoning Haximoto.  However, I am not good at admitting defeat.

It's more than just a song as I really am broke and busted but my spirits are better than you might think. I hurt but not as badly as I've been hurt by previous drops.   That's disheartening stuff and there it sits at this late hour in San Rafael.

If there's any chance you can support the tour via the Support the Search for Ithaka Paypal button, it would be more than appreciated.  Right now I really don't have a plan and, yes, I laugh.  I suppose I should be crying but I'm not.  That would dim the focus, don'tcha know!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Calais or Le Harve is just a hop skip and s jump now. Look for a hostel to stay and lick your wounds.
4 days travel to the englisj speaking world and light at thecend of the tunnel. Too late to abandon the scoot. Your almost home. My phone wont let me see paypal button

Unknown said...

I hear you not to give up. I was telling Cat that I would not even though I have no idea how I will manage it!

Anonymous said...

Then what is your next step. I can only talkvto you via these comments.

Anonymous said...

your 540 km from the closest ferry

Anonymous said...

if you can do 3 stint of 70km per day you are in England by Mon.

Anonymous said...

your paypal account wont allow me to donate. cant figure out why I can try a direct deposit but i am out of town and I dont know the tellers here

jsmn said...

Calais is allmost 1200 km from Saint-Raphaël, shortest way with mountains and toll-roads. From starting point Ancona to Saint-Raphaël is about 750 km. That took 5 days. So don't know what you consider a hop, skip and jump, anonymous, but with 150 km a day it's another week to Calais. And then it's another 470 miles (about 750 km, so 5 days) from Dover to Edinburgh. So hop, skip and jump about 2000 more km's. Right on!

Unknown said...

Well, there's no way back so must keep pushing onward! I can't take tollroads. It's just begging for death doing that.

Anonymous said...

I am just using google maps and the mileage it generates.
I guess I could say your screwed is there a fountain nearby. Or I could try looking for a solution to help him to get where he is going one day at a time.