Sunday, June 4, 2017

"The Hatchet Man Went to the Circus" #Poetry

"Ding, dong," said the Hatchet Man, asking,
"Who would you have me kill?"
but the Ringmaster told him it's a circus
where we have no blood to spill
The Hatchet Man thanked him
and then had this to say,
"I didn't want to do it
but they said they would make me pay
So I didn't have a choice
but now it's safe to say,
I'll live right here among you
and here we will live this day

The Ringmaster had to tell him,
"Things aren't doing all that well.
They took away our elephants
and probably just to sell
They also took the lions,
the tigers, and monkeys too
but I'm damned if they'll take my parrot
He will come with me and you."
The Hatchet Man then asked him,
"Is there anything I can do?
I love the way you think here
and I want to stay with you."

The Ringmaster said, "You're welcome
and stay as long as you like
but I can't tell you when the day will come
when the tent makes its last strike."
The Hatchet Man stood to say,
"Perhaps I have something to give.
For all the hurt I've brought to life
perhaps now I can help it live."

- Colonel Abuthnot Jones

No comments: